Types of Stirrup

Coffee_Bean

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Hi, I am in need of some stirrups as am currently borrowing other peoples to ride...! But I have no idea which type to get that are safe/comfy.

I have had bent leg safety stirrups before and didn't really like them.

Are the flexi ones worth the extra money?

I will be doing a bit of everything in them eventually.

What do people on here use/like??

mattilda

Visit site
I have the flexi stirrups and really like them. TBH I have used them for so long I can't remember how the other ones felt.

KatB

Visit site
I love my thorowgood flexi stirrups. Exactly the same as the Sprenger ones, but cheaper, However, I do LOVE the Sprenger Bow balance stirrups.... :p

Tanta

Visit site
I've got the Sprenger ones - and do love them. They are expensive - but they seem to past forever. The tread on mine shows no sign of wear, and they must be at least 6 years old...

Keltic

Visit site
I used my sprengers for the frst time on Sunday, i was really impressed the difference was amazing, my knees did not ache at all. The peacock ones were the ones i was using before and ive not heard you cant jump in them? I f you want to borrow my peacocks to try give me a shout as they are just in the garage.

charlimouse

Visit site
Another vote for the Sprenger flexi ones, altho I don't like the Bow ones as I felt they forced my feet into a position they dont go into due to an old injury.

Mabel98

Visit site
I can't ride in anything apart from the flexi ones due to a knee injury. I prefer the Sprengers but was having problems with my feet slipping out. Another HHOer recommended getting some cheese grater treads and they have been fab

Festive_Felicitations

Visit site
I ride in, and like, the traditional metal stirrup irons with rubber grips,

I have ridden in other sorts and liked what over here are called 'Spring stirrups' I think they are fibreglass or plastic or something and if you stand in the stirrups and bounce they are quite springy. I hated the safety stirrups where one side is a rubber band they were uncomfortable, plus the rubber band got hooked on bushes!
I have also ridden in wooden, bucket stirrups - very comfortable if they are the right size for your foot but bloody painful on the shins if you loose them!

However the other day my horse rather forcably pointed out the benefits of metal irons - he shied sideways hard into a telegraph pole and I swear the only thing that stopped my leg & foot from getting smashed into the post and broken was that my iron took most of the impact (it now has a slightly flattened side), I now just have a spectacular bruise.
Becasue of this I think I will stick to nice solid metal ones.