Typical height of jump in Riding Club Horse?

Oaksflight

Visit site
Just wondering as friend is supposed to be taking the ginger monster in it but she hasn't jumped for years. It's just a smallish local show. I have no idea as never done the class before, but I'm guessing a x pole at no bigger than 2 foot 6?!

lillie07

Visit site
At local level you tend to get a upright which is normally no bigger than about 2ft 3", sometimes you get 2 fences which you are asked to jump off both reins. I took a friends youngster in a few Riding Club classes and was shocked at how many people who didnt jump were still in the placings so if she is really worried about jumping tell her not too. She is better giving a good routine than to attempt a jump and have a refusal. Hope that helps.

_April_

Visit site
At our tiny local show it was a cross pole at literally no more than 2'3 off the ground. We had to incorporate it into our show and jump on both reins. A few did refuse it though so I guess it was a fair enough height, I was glad it was teeny anyway haha!

I would just wait and see on the day and then if you're not sure miss it out. Maybe try a practice jump beforehand to see if you can manage. They aren't looking for show jumping super stars anyway just a nice all round ride.

Oaksflight

Visit site
He's not likely to refuse at that height, he loves jumping, it'll be more her trying to hold him back (gets a bit strong!)! She can handle it fine, just a bit rusty, but she's going to jump him on Friday. Show is literally small local level. Doesn't say height of jump, but says got to jump off both reins. I'll be taking him in novice and open Working Hunter beforehand tho so we'll see how he's behaving!
grin.gif

Also, is he fine to be in dutch gag? Need very good arm muscles to jump him in a snaffle.

_April_

Visit site
I really don't know for def. but I think that if you can, use the snaffle. At some shows it's specified beforehand and I also think it looks much better if the horse has a snaffle mouth, especially as they are supposed to be a nice ride.
However if there's no option then wear whatever you have to! xx

You'll be totally fine!

Oaksflight

Visit site
He can be jumped in a snaffle, but he does get very strong, and my figuring is that he's more likely to do better if the rider looks more in control albeit with a stronger bit? When cantering as a group at a show I struggle to hold him back with snaffle and flash, never mind when jumping!

Oh, and it's not me competing him in it! I find this showing melarky too dull except for WH so that's what I'm doing, only amused when theres a course of jumps in front of me!
grin.gif

Oaksflight

Visit site
Even if it looks as though the rider is struggling? It's been known for judges to ask his rider if they were actually in control during any of that when he's in a snaffle!
shocked.gif

Emily99

Visit site
I went in a local show in a 2-ring bubble bit in a RC class and came 3rd as youngster was being a prat and i was only there for experience. I apologised to the judge for it as snaffles are preffered.
Baby horsie was perfectly behaved in SoE main arena... so should have used the snaffle and been placed higher LOL

Oaksflight

Visit site
Haha. Well I'll see how he's going, he'll be in dutch for WH but will take him round clear round in snaffle and see if I can handle him easily. If not, I'll just tell her to apologise for the bit!