Ugh... A worm in the schnoz?

RoobyDoobs

Visit site
So today I walked my boy out in hand. ( shoes off a week ago, and although he's worked in the school, I wanted to see how he would cope on different types of terrain). We were wandering along a lane, chatting away, and he 'cleared' his nose...I turned and looked at him, and just on the inside of his snout was a brown, flat worm.... About an inch and a half long, a millimetre wide and pointy at each end.... Gross!!!!

Yes I should have taken a pic, and no I don't know if it was alive or not.... But the nice men teeing off in the golf club we were walking past thought it was extremely funny that I stopped and 'blew' his nose!!! (and then had a good old ganders at the tissue). Hahahaha

cptrayes

Visit site
Roundworm larvaie migrate through the lungs and your horse could have coughed one up. I can't get a picture of the larvae though, or a description, maybe you should ask your vet.

Last edited:

RoobyDoobs

Visit site
sorry, posted in error, still googling

Hi CPT... Am googling too, but to no avail so far. Habronema are apparently a white or cream colour so unlikely. Although... We do have a little trouble with his eyes... Occasionally red and sore but usually if hay is dusty or if it's very windy.

RoobyDoobs

Visit site
Roundworm larvaie migrate through the lungs and your horse could have coughed one up. I can't get a picture of the larvae though, or a description, maybe you should ask your vet.

Yes, I will certainly give him a call on Monday. Thanks to you both for the help :)

amandap

Visit site
If he thinks it's one of these I would go for an injection rather than an oral wormer myself. Vet will advise what's best though I expect.
I've read of a horse recently treated for these and he had two bouts of colic symptoms following the injection but has improved so much from intermittent colics and some behavioural changes to being a totally chilled horse. Not relevant to you but thought it was interesting as it's not something I believe is considered much.

Hope you get to the bottom of it and get him sorted. :)

RoobyDoobs

Visit site
It wouldn't surprise me if it was to be honest as we've had issues since I bought him last year... With pinworm :(

Theyve been a nightmare to shift...

He was wormed five weeks ago for tapeworm and then a week later he started with the pinworm symptoms again. Vet agreed to worming within a week with strongid p which got rid of the pinworm symptoms almost immediately. Now this... It seems never ending. Three days ago I started him on diatomaceous earth (not sure if I've spelt that right!)... Fascinating stuff... Totally natural. I'm wondering if it's this and it's doing it's job! Hope so!

FionaM12

Visit site
Oops sorry!!! Although the title was quite a big clue I feel!!!

I know.. :eek: Curiosity got the better of me. I found the bit about the men on the golf course very funny though. :D

Seriously, I hope you get this sorted. Aside from the gross-out bit, you must be quite worried, after what you've been through already over the pinworms. :(

RoobyDoobs

Visit site
I know.. :eek: Curiosity got the better of me. I found the bit about the men on the golf course very funny though. :D

Seriously, I hope you get this sorted. Aside from the gross-out bit, you must be quite worried, after what you've been through already over the pinworms. :(

I was very embarrassed when I realised they were watching me for sure!

Yes I'm worried, but will bell the vet on Monday and run it by him... See what he says. I did tell him I was going to start with the natural wormer and he was going to research it. The more I think about it, the more I think the worm was dead ( didn't move at all) so maybe the new stuff works. Who knows!!!