Uh oh.. I'm in trouble

Fools Motto

Visit site
My New Forest gelding whom I've got on working livery at work, has a saddle (the make of which has just left me brain dead, but it's like an event saddle, has a long flat seat, I think begining with 'C' - oh I'm so helpful, I blame the drugs they used on me at the dentist earlier!!). Anyway, the saddle fits the pony fine, but I hate it. It was bought for the pony by work, so I had nothing to do with it, thought if it fits him ok, I'll manage. But, I can't. I feel so wobbly in it. I haven't ridden him in months, mainly due to my op, but also I'm nervous, and mainly because of my wobbles with the saddle. He can be spooky, and I can't sit to it! I should be fine with spooky horses, but the saddle has to work to help me?! Others ride him regularly so he's fit and happy.

So, on a whim and totally out of the blue, I looked on ebay. Saw one I liked the look and sound of, and put a bid on it. Never did I think I was going to win it!! OH will go bananas, as he doesn't even know about the pony - whom I've had since February!!!
I'll get it sent to work, so he won't know, apart from the grand sum of £66 (saddle and postage!) will somehow 'disapear' from my account. Apart from parting with £5 in Feb, I haven't spent a penny on him, and right now I feel so happy that I'm spending horsey money!! It's been over two years since I spent every penny I earnt on my beloved late mare.
Anyway, taking the risk on the saddle, thought it was worth it, but if he does find out... I'll argue my case against his sport membership fees!

Fools Motto

Visit site
The low price is another reason I'm a bit worried!! lol And I'm surprised I won it at that price. It's a used saddle, has a few scrapes on the edges, but the rest looks ok. The seller had it on for £50 starting price, and maybe as the list ending time was mid afternoon not many saw it? I've paid the £16 postage, hence £66.
It's described as 'working hunter saddle, 18'' wide - extra wide havana and oxblood'

A gamble? I guess I'll have to wait to see what turns up!!

I don't know if it'll fit!! lol Gotta try I guess. Plenty of others I can try it on, and if nothing then I can sell it on. Luckily i won't lose £££

Summit

Visit site
I would never buy a saddle without first seeing it plus you’ll, have no idea if it’ll fit? :confused:

Fools Motto

Visit site
I agree, I haven't a clue if it'll fit. But how do people buy saddles on the internet, does everyone try/see first? So many on ebay! I sold my old dressage saddle on ebay, went to Ireland. They sent me a messge saying they were thrilled with it!!

Fools Motto

Visit site
Amymay - I can't get a large picture up of said saddle, but it looks far better than the one the pony has currently got. And, like I keep saying, it is a gamble.

SOS

Visit site
I agree, I haven't a clue if it'll fit. But how do people buy saddles on the internet, does everyone try/see first? So many on ebay! I sold my old dressage saddle on ebay, went to Ireland. They sent me a messge saying they were thrilled with it!!

I would get the saddler out to measure the horse for rough sizing (narrow or medium or wide etc) and to size myself for seat and to point out any particular features/recommend some brands. Sometimes if they don’t have the exact style but right brand for fit or correct seat length, I would borrow a friends saddle in the exact type I wanted to sit on the horse for the saddler to have a look.

If I knew exact seat size, style and width I needed then I would consider buying online. But with a saddle that cheap I would be worried about the integrity of the tree/flocking which could cause more harm than good. I would definitely get a saddler to check it fitted to the horse once it is here and to check the tree.

Is this horse very wide/fairly long? Sounds a big saddle!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site

I've bought a saddle off eBay. But I knew exactly what I needed and what would fit and suit my horse after discussion with my saddler. He then came out to double check it.

asmp

Visit site
Similar to amymay, our saddler tells us exactly what saddle (make, style and size) and then we go and find one. She then comes out to double check and adjust.

Also agree with above post that 18" sounds too long for a pony - sorry.

MagicMelon

Visit site
18" does sound very big for a pony... is it particularily long in the back? It certainly doesnt look like an 18" from the photo!

There's so much more to saddle fitting IMO than just seat length and width especially if you feel the current saddle is wobbly, the horse might not be a totally straight forward fit. Ive got a WOW which has an added special part on it to reposition the straps along with different panels underneath, a 16" seat on 17" panels - all needed for my current horse due to all other saddles being "wobbly" on her.

I think you'd be very very lucky if it fits to be honest. Ive bought saddles online occassionally but only ones Ive had fitted by a saddler (and Ill then go off and find one second hand so I dont have to buy brand new). I would highly advise getting a saddler to check its fit when it comes... if it doesnt fit then you'll end up with a very unhappy horse!

Snowfilly

Visit site
I think buying saddles online is pretty much ok - if you know the length, width and some general thoughts on brands, you probably won't be far off. Take said saddle, try it on and either chuck back up for sale if it's miles off or do a more detailed fitting if it's basically ok.

There's a couple of 'qualified saddle fitters' near me that I wouldn't let saddle a rocking horse so Im not sure it's a deal breaker if you haven't got qualifications. You can do 95% of the checks yourself, watch someone else lunge and lead the horse in it to see movement, have a ride to see if it suits you and then get someone with experience to look it over to confirm.

As to price, ebay is wierd for costs. Perhaps it's an unfashionable make or colour, perhaps the scuffs and cosmetic issues are making it cheap, perhaps the seller listed it under the wrong section with crappy photos. I've gambled on a lot worse - try buying vintage heavy horse harness online.

As to hiding £66 and a pony...that would worry me far more than a possible not as sold saddle!

Wheels

Visit site
I think you'll be very lucky if it fits, if the tree is sound and the saddle is safe. I bought a cheap saddle from eBay a few years for the sole purpose of taking it apart.

The tree was made of non laminated wood with cracks all over it, the tree was also very wonky as was the rest of the saddle, the stirrup bars were rivetted with only 1 rivet so they moved, the panels were uneven shape and size and filled with carpet fibres, cardboard and something else (unidentified), the flaps were stitched on wonky and the seat leather was stapled on so poorly that it just pulled off in one go.

Please be careful

Well made saddles are expensive for a reason, materials and workmanship cost!

Good quality 2nd hand saddles do not come cheap either

Fools Motto

Visit site
Arhh, think I've got a pic of said Ebay saddle. Whatever happens will happen. Gamble taken, and yes if its 'ok' the fitter will come out to check. If not, then I'll pass it on and learn from my randomness!
Don't worry, the pony is, and will be well cared for. I will learn to ride better in his current saddle if it is to stay.

As for OH, yes, money is very tight, he hates me spending money on horses, but he knows it makes me happy, so he gets over it. I just haven't done it for a while.

Attachments

• saddle1.jpeg
    saddle1.jpeg
    116.1 KB · Views: 151

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I recently sold a really good quality Lemetex Jump saddle on eBay for about £60, it was very old but in good condition, noone wanted it as it had a very hard seat, every one wants comfort nowadays. I'd have kept it but 3 horses on and it didn't fit any of them, and I just wanted it out of the house. Bargains are out there 😊

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I've had some fab saddles off ebay cheap and if they don't fit anything then they can go back on without losing too much. My favourite saddle at the moment is a Stubben one I got for £100 , fits well and so comfy.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Is the old one a Cardinel? I had one and sold it for a small fortune cos it didn’t fit the boy once he grew. Shame, it was beautiful.

I’m a bit o_O at people buying saddles from eBay. I got a fitter and someone comes regularly to re-flock/check fit on my current everyday saddle.

Equine_Dream

Visit site
Meh! See if it fits when it arrives. If it doesn't just whack it back on eBay. No big deal 🤷‍♀️
I bought my favourite saddle off eBay for £300. Had a rough idea of the size but just had my saddle fitter come and check it when it arrived. Fitted great. Happy horse. Happy me!