Uh oh.. I'm in trouble

Nudibranch

Visit site
You can always sell it on again - at that price if it's in decent condition and you word the ad right you could well make a profit. I'm going to stick my neck out here and say it looks like neither of you need an 18" though! Have you tried him in a 17"? It's sitting over his shoulder a fair bit by the looks of it.

BlackRider

Visit site
I bought a new saddle off eBay, but it came with a 7 day trial so I could check the fit and return if needed.

ps 18" does sound big for a pony, hope it fits.

SpringArising

Visit site
FM he is adorable! I have such a soft spot for chestnut roans.

I've bought saddles from eBay before - I don't understand why anyone would have a problem with buying a saddle online and then having a saddle fitter check it afterwards.

HiPo'sHuman

Visit site
Would be lovely if your gamble pays off but please don't get your hopes up!

I bought one off FB about a month ago, a 14" W Fylde Haydon...had picked the pony but not even collected him. Took a slight calculated risk but was pretty damn sure it would work - I've always had natives and know Fylde saddles. Saddle arrived, as did pony, and it's a perfect fit :) saddler thought it had been bought using a template. Keeping my fingers crossed for you but an 18" does sound far too long before you even take into account width/tree shape etc. My monster of a Highland probably wouldn't take an 18"!

3OldPonies

Visit site
Hmm, not sure how to say this, but neither you or the saddle look to fit that pony. You have lovely long legs but you're sitting a bit sort of frog like - it doesn't look like you have the correct heel, hip and head line and that is not the most secure seat, I'm not surprised you're having trouble if the pony gets a bit spooky. If I were you I would get a saddler out to assess you both properly, before parting with any more cash - especially as your OH is so controlling where the pennies are concerned.

For what its worth, I've never had anything longer than 16.5" on a New Forest.

Hollychops

Visit site
I bought an Albion dressage saddle from ebay, my saddler came out 2 days after it arrived and fitted it. Apart from new girth straps it fit my mare really well. It can be done but i always have saddles fitted by a professional, registered saddler as i dont know enough to do it myself. The lady i bought it off said her husband had put the wrong starting price on it and i got it £100 cheaper than it was worth. Think she was hoping i was going to give her the difference...Err, no!

I am hoping one day soon to have another horse to have it fitted to.

SpringArising

Visit site
Just a note on the saddle itself - if you don't feel secure then a WH type saddle is probably the worst cut you can go for as there's really no knee support what so ever. The flaps also look REALLY long and I have a feeling will engulf that little fella!

redapple

Visit site
Ive just had a saddle fitter out this morning and the difference from a saddle that fits but needs a bit of sorting to a new saddle that actually fits well is amazing so don't underestimate how much a saddle effects everyone. Its quite unfair imo to ride in a saddle that doesn't fit. I dont think that cost = good fit however (though I wont tell you how much current saddle was... its not £60 for sure...) but please make sure that the saddle fits.

In the picture youve put that saddle is going to be over and restricting the shoulder. Its also too big for the rider shown (and pony). Maybe the new 18" will fit better but I imagine you'll need a smaller seat. My saddle fitter is fab, highly recommended and charges £40 for a fitting.... its not a lot! Please get saddles fitted!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Somewhere like saddles direct is a good punt for trying second hand saddles without the hassle of reselling if it doesn't fit. You get 3 days to try it out and can return it if not suitable. I was advised by the breeder of my most recent purchase that 18" albions or ideals in MW were often a good fit for her horses. I'm tall so prefer 18" saddles anyway, and the mare can take one no problem. I struck lucky with my first attempt, an 15yo ideal event saddle and even luckier with my saddlefitter who pronounced it as a good fit after she tweaked the flocking to accomodate my wonky mare.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I'm always buying saddles on ebay! The latest one cost £70 inc postage and fits now shes lost some weight. If they dont fit then I stick them back on with a decent advert and always make a profit. I made a profit of £250 on the last one I sold!

But same as everyone else, 18" on a new forest pony sounds huge! My mare is long in the back and only just takes a 17" with compact panels.

AFB

Visit site
Personally I wouldn't have paid £66 for an unbranded, old saddle which I don't know will fit...

Fools Motto

Visit site
Sorry everyone but that's not me in the pic riding. I'm twice the size of that skinny young girl and twice the age plus some too!