Ulcer and travelling, what do you do?

BethanT

Visit site
Thinking back as to what could be causing what looks like another flare up of ulcers with my lad, I was trying to pin point the main catalyst for change.

I am pretty sure that a combination of reduced turnout due to the weather, and increased travelling has played a part.

Now I had planned to have a good competition season with him, meaning we would be out nearly every weekend, with every 3rd or 4th weekend off (varying activities of One days. dressage and showjumping). At the moment he gets traveled with Haylage as he never seems to eat hay while travelling, and I don't like the idea of him potentially travelling anywhere without eating. He still doesn't each much of the hayalage while on the move but at least he will eat it when we park up and during the day.

So what do you do to combat ulcers before and during travel? I'm thinking I will make sure he gets a scoop of chaff before travel, and depending the journey and type of competition take some extra with me to give to him before I tack up and ride. He's a very good and calm traveler, and doesn't actually get wound up while on the lorry or at a show.

He is currently on Protexin, which I double dose on for periods of high stress, but is there anything else I can do or give to him. More as a prevention rather than a cure.

I will also be speaking with my vet about getting him formally diagnosed and treated for ulcers, but as mentioned above this is for preventative measures.