Ulcer injections

dixie

Visit site
What have people’s experiences been on these.
My horse had just had his third jab but I can’t see any improvement yet. He’s also reacted to the last two jabs by swelling up.
I’d never heard of these injections before and gather they are fairly new.

HeyMich

Visit site
Yep, fairly new I think. My mare has had them twice, about a year apart. They worked well and better than the gastro guard oral paste. Sucralfate also helped her hind gut at the same time.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have not had to use them yet but would certainly choose them over paste .
To get the best out of the paste you have to give them on an empty stomach and leave the horse for while with no food after .
It’s a complete pain

Dru

Visit site
I've used them twice. The first time there were 3 over 3 weeks which can't have been enough as the ulcers came back within weeks. Second time, 4 weeks of paste didn't clear them so we used injections and that cleared it. It's far easier than the paste but obviously more expensive as you can get a prescription for gastrogard and buy it online for £15 a tube.

dixie

Visit site
I’m really hoping that he doesn’t need more injections as he swelled up for the last two injections.

gunnergundog

Visit site
I’m really hoping that he doesn’t need more injections as he swelled up for the last two injections.
They aren't that new....I used them over two years ago. I agree, it is very viscous to inject.....where are you jabbing him? Best result I had with one that was a tad delicate was in the rump.

dixie

Visit site
He had all 3 in different places. One is left side of neck which was fine, next in right side that completely blew his neck up and 3rd in his chest that again blew up. The neck was the worst one as he was stiff. His chest looks awful but he seems ok with it after a day or so.
BC912A80-13E2-4E07-A2E4-5AFB03B100FA.jpeg

Nikkij

New User
Visit site
I've used them twice. The first time there were 3 over 3 weeks which can't have been enough as the ulcers came back within weeks. Second time, 4 weeks of paste didn't clear them so we used injections and that cleared it. It's far easier than the paste but obviously more expensive as you can get a prescription for gastrogard and buy it online for £15 a tube.

Dru would you please be able to tell me where you get your gastrogard for £15 if possible?
Many thanks
Nikki

madamebonnie

Visit site
He had all 3 in different places. One is left side of neck which was fine, next in right side that completely blew his neck up and 3rd in his chest that again blew up. The neck was the worst one as he was stiff. His chest looks awful but he seems ok with it after a day or so.

Do half in one side and half in another. We did all of them in the neck but half a dose one side and half another. Better in the rump but my horses is a kicker.

We tried gastroguard+sulfracate first which shifted the squamous but not pyloric ulcers. Then 4 weeks of injections

Duke

Visit site
Injections did't work for mine at all and he also got swollen lumps at the injection site. Gastrogard and sucralfate worked a treat.

dixie

Visit site
I thought my vet said the injections was a mixture of two, one being omeprazole (isnt that what Gastrogard is?) but the bill i just received just says omeprazole.

However, not sure the injections have had much impact now that I'm nearly a week after injection number 3.

Duke

Visit site
Certainly the injections mine got were just omeprazole. He had 4 weekly injections and there was really very little change when he was rescoped and he just wasnt happy. When he later went onto the gastrogard (which is omeprazole too) he was back to his normal happy self almost immediately and ulcers were very well healed when he was scoped to check progress.

dixie

Visit site
Thanks. Looks like I’ll be ringing the vet again if no improvement by the end of this week 😒