Ulcer prevention

Bluesy

Visit site
Hello ,
My young mare has had ulcers and has been treated with omeprazole and sucralfate , she was very sore with them .

I’m looking for things I could use to help prevent reoccurrence of ulcers , is there anything you would recommend? Thank you

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Constant access to forage , avoid stress (e.g provide a routine , don't keep in if she doesn't like it , don't turn out in bad weather if she doesn't like it ).
And never exercise on an empty stomach - make sure she's either eating hay up to the point of tacking up or of she's not a great hay eater , feed a scoop of dampened chaff just before tacking up sad riding.

charlotte0916

Visit site
One of the key supplements that actually has research behind it is pectin and lecithin - a number of off the shelf gastric supplements have this in so you can choose which looks best for your horse. I’ve heard good things about gastro premier (£££), science supplements (££) and ultimate ease (££). All ulcer supplements are sadly pretty pricey.

•Beyond that 1.5/2 Stubbs scoops of chaff within 30 mins of riding,
•multiple forage sources,
•as much turnout as they’re happy with,
•exercise which they’re happy with up to 5 days per week,
•a routine they’re happy with
•and the ability to touch/hang out with friends daily.

Some get on with alfalfa (which can be buffering) whilst others are intolerant so you can try both ways. You also want to aim for less than a combined total of 10% starch and sugar in the feed. I would also avoid feeds which include molasses unless it fits the above and many are intolerant to soya so you can trial and error with that one.

BronsonNutter

Visit site
One of the key supplements that actually has research behind it is pectin and lecithin - a number of off the shelf gastric supplements have this in so you can choose which looks best for your horse. I’ve heard good things about gastro premier (£££), science supplements (££) and ultimate ease (££). All ulcer supplements are sadly pretty pricey.

•Beyond that 1.5/2 Stubbs scoops of chaff within 30 mins of riding,
•multiple forage sources,
•as much turnout as they’re happy with,
•exercise which they’re happy with up to 5 days per week,
•a routine they’re happy with
•and the ability to touch/hang out with friends daily.

Some get on with alfalfa (which can be buffering) whilst others are intolerant so you can try both ways. You also want to aim for less than a combined total of 10% starch and sugar in the feed. I would also avoid feeds which include molasses unless it fits the above and many are intolerant to soya so you can trial and error with that one.

^ All of this! Especially regarding the turnout - not all horses are happy to live out, so keep your horse in the routine she is happiest with.
Corn oil added to the diet (50ml per meal) can be helpful too.