Ulcer Scope - Starve for 12 hours?!?!

bubsqueaks

Visit site
Just wonder if anybody can explain why when you have a horse scoped for ulcers the vets insist on starving for 12 hours when Ive read that after 30 minutes the food in the stomach passes through!
Am I misunderstanding something here - I have an ulcer horse who is currently being turned away for a year with a view to permanently managing him on 24 hours turnout but will need to re-scope sometime next year so would just like a clearer understanding of this as it seems somewhat contradictory but could well be I am misinterpreting.
Thank you.

be positive

Visit site
The bulk passes through but there is some left behind usually in the places the vet needs to see, the one I starved for 12 hours still had some food in the stomach when scoped the next day although it was empty enough to see properly there are cases where they have to be left longer to get a clear picture which can be expensive if the vet is coming out to you and has to return and sedate a second time, it makes sense to do what is required even if it is contradictory to starve a horse that has had ulcers.

HeyMich

Visit site
It's just so the stomach is as empty as possible, as even the tiniest bit of food in there can affect the visibility. And you really don't want to have to go through the process again a few weeks later if the vet couldn't get a clear picture because of food remains!

Both times I've had my mare scoped, she was booked in for early morning. She had her evening feed as usual at 6pm and haylege in the hay bar. Then all remaining haylege and water taken out of the stable at 9pm. She was a bit antsy in the morning when I got there, but I just kept her occupied by grooming and chatting until the vet came, and they started with the scope and sedation fairly quickly.

It's worth starving them properly to get the best view possible in my mind. It's expensive and traumatic to have to repeat!

bubsqueaks

Visit site
Thank you all for replying - yes I 100% agree it has to be done properly as expensive & traumatic, it was just the contradiction of the 12 hour starve against the 30 minutes stomach empty I was scratching my head about, but yes I can see if there's particles of food left in the stomach it can hinder the scope but you just wouldn't think there would be anything left at all after that length of time would you given that we're told the stomach empties & they need ad lib forage - just mulling it all over & questioning current practice as even the vets are stumped about the truth with ulcers in particular glandular ulcers & I am now very sceptical about all these supplements & feeds that are being marketed?!?!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
it's the same with people having upper GI endoscopy, you have to fast for quite a long time to make the stomach clear enough for a good view.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I just send mine to the vets the night before now they then get done first thing and are at home with all over late morning .
When I sent J the last time they where still doing the eighteen hours so I sent him in ready to be done there’s was unavoidable delay so ended being without food for over 24 hours , he got jaundice and was ill for a fortnight .
He was very delicate J .