Ulcer treatments?

ShowJumperBeckii

Visit site
Will a vet treat a symptomatic horse without the scope?
horse has had everything under the sun checked etc everthing else ruled out etc,
Has anyone had vets do so? I guess depends on the clinic? Obviously best thing to do is ring my own practice (which I shall) but just curious?
thanks!

BronsonNutter

Visit site
They may do, but depends on your practice... We do occasionally for horses which have previously been diagnosed and have recurrance of symptoms. We also have some clients who have purchased boxes of oral omeprazole for times of stress (e.g. stay away competitions, international travel...)

Things to consider:
1) the treatment is far more expensive than the gastroscoping - therefore you're wasting money if your horse doesn't have ulcers
2) if you're insured, there is no way your insurance will pay out for treatment without a gastroscope confirming ulcers
3) treatment options vary depending on which type of ulcers are present - e.g. squamous only, glandular only, or a combo
4) will you scope at the end of treatment to confirm if it has worked? Not every horse will be fixed after four weeks
All things to think about! Hope your horse is on the mend soon.

Reactions: SEL

Cowpony

Visit site
My vet recommended using Protexin Acid Ease first, as he said it's very good (a bit like Gaviscon in humans). Then if that doesn't improve things he'd scope. Might be worth a try if you haven't used something similar yet? I don't think it will resolve really bad cases though.

SEL

Visit site
Both the practices I've been with would scope first. I did get another box of omeprazole without a scope for the Appy about a year after her ulcer treatment (outside insurance) when she had a bad reaction to another procedure and her stomach flared up - but her history of ulcers is well documented.

Insurance companies usually want to know the ulcers are grade 2 or above before they will pay for drugs

lottiepony

Visit site
First time around my vets prescribed a full course of gastrogard without a scope due to how many symptoms he was displaying and knowing the type of horse he is felt that the scope would be very stressful for him.
SEIB paid out for the claim with written confirmation from the vet that due to the response from the medication they were confident of a correct diagnosis. I then had the proviso added that if I wanted to claim again within the year he would need to be scoped to confirm.
He's long since maxed his insurance claim so have paid for another course since then.
I am very lucky with my vets as they are very pragmatic (think thats the word) and certainly seem sensible when it comes to spending clients money. In fact they will look to see which online site has the drugs for the cheapest - winning!
I have now started him on Relyne GI which is eyewateringly expensive but if it does help him then money well spent I guess...

I'm Dun

Visit site
Its worth looking at Nexium if you are paying yourself. £30 for a months worth and the peer reviewed reseach shows it works. Some vets will support its use.

Reactions: SEL

skint1

Visit site
My mare had ulcer treatment in 2020 after being scoped. Earlier this year she began to exhibit some of the same behaviours so my vet suggested treating her for 2weeks, this is not a cheap option I can tell you. There was an improvement but unfortunately we have to go back down the diagnostics route again as she remains quite reactive to her back being touched.

ShowJumperBeckii

Visit site
Thank you for the replies! I have had mixed options off the forum too, how some just treat and risk it and some say def scope!, unfortunately not insured and know it’s the treatment which is the worst part (money wise) she is on acid ease and I mean little things she’s not as girthy etc I would say are better but I just find her more stressy to ride and at the weekend was a tad nappy which is off so do wonder if she does have them it’s too bad for a supplement to help? spent nearly 7k on her earlier in the year so I know everything is ruled out as such, I mean if the vet wants to scope they know best!
waiting for a vet to give me a call so hopefully can get answers on best way forward!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
There is clinical evidence for the use of aloe vera, and it is my go to in any horse showing mild ulcer symptoms. 25 -40ml a day.

skint1

Visit site
There is clinical evidence for the use of aloe vera, and it is my go to in any horse showing mild ulcer symptoms. 25 -40ml a day.

I am interested in this, thanks for the tip! I've currently got mine on a Lincoln Yea-Sacc 30 supplement and she's being a bit fussy about it at the moment despite having eaten it for ages!

ShowJumperBeckii

Visit site
Oh thank you! Shall look into that, vet has called back and said we could treat without scope if happy that I could lose a large chunk of money if that isn’t the issue… so scope booked in!