Ulceration: Confirmed as such what were the symptons?

frozzy

Visit site
My daughters first pony is with us to retire and we have had him back for nearly two years. Prior to him coming back to us he was ill and in hos[ital with an illness they never got to the bottom of. He went very lethargic and wouldnt move. He scoured and weight dropped off him very quickly. He was scoped (but this apparantly caused trouble with him being so small) and was treated with steroids, histamines, antibiotics, but they thought possibly ulcers, but they weaned him off everything slowly and by the time he came back to me he was right as rain. He put weight on gradually with me over the twoyears or so we have had him back. I weaned him gradually back on to grass and he has lived out for most of the time in the summer but in at night in the winter. He does not eat a huge amount of hay, but will eat hard feed (grass nuts and safe n sound or other non molassed chaffs ).
A few weeks ago he started itching and scratching himself all over his body making himself sore in places. He has been de loused, done with switch scrubbed with hibiscrub. Now wearing a fly sheet. 5 days ago he started every now and then to pass loose ish droppings. Today its every dropping thats loose. He had a LFT done a few weeks ago which showed slight abnormality but that was put down to the previous illness. He had every test going the last time which showed nowt. So they sort of came to the conclusion that it was ulcers that had resolved.
Do any of his current symptoms match a confirmed case? Vet back tomorow to see him. Apart from the scour and the itching he is bright and happy! Any ideas gratefully received!

Inchy

Visit site
It doesn't take much for them to get ulcers, particularly ones who've had them in the past.

One of our liveries had a pony with sweet itch, he used to stress so much when he was itchy that it brought on ulcers. We tried loads of supplements designed to help with ulcers, but no luck. He's now managed very carefully for his sweetitch, and on a 1/4dose gastroguard when it does get bad. He is also fed charcoal now. Fingers crossed we haven't had ulcers recently!