Ulcergard

druid

Visit site
Has anyone used the generic omeprazole instead of the namebrand Ulcer/Gastrogard? It came off patent late last year and generics are now popping up...

Vet suggested it and 4 weeks course at 400mg per day is $270 vs. $900 on the branded stuff....

GreedyGuts

Visit site
No reason why it shouldn't do the job, although I'm not aware of any equine preparations available other than gastroguard, and so theoretically your vet prescribing human capsules would be illegal, in the UK at least. Price wise, I know which one I'd chose!

druid

Visit site
Yep, 20mg omperazole can be bought OTC it's only the 40/60mg which are Rx only

glenruby

Visit site
In the US it is a veterinary medicine over the counter version (though I thought it IS POM in Ireland) is a lower concentration of omeprazole than Gastroguard. Pretty sure the tests have shown that its not very effective especially in comparison to the main brand. In Ireland, Gastroguard is the only approved LA omeprazole drug. Gastroguard is very expensive, but worth it. Was your horse gastroscpoed? Or is he on NSAIDs or other drugs at the minute?

In both Britain and Ireland, vets are legally entitled to use human drugs for veterinary use under the medicine "cascade", particularly if there is no veterinary equivilant.. Its part of EU legislation.

druid

Visit site
Yep, Gastro gard is 400mg per tube and OTC is 20mg per capsule...so you feed a higher dose of the OTC to match the 400mg level
smirk.gif

Yes, scoped repeatedly, not on any other meds bar Acidex (aluminium hydroxide, Mag carbonate) to control his acidosis.

Visit site
Gastroguard is not 400mg per tube, it is 2,280mg per tube!!! The dosage recommended in all the research is 4mg/kg bodyweight for treatment level, so your average 500kg horse would need 100 x 20mg capsules per day.

Not all generics are the same either, I have found one brand that seems to work and one that does not at all.

Jackie

druid

Visit site
You're right, sorry - was reading the wrong dosage off bit's of paper here (the 400mg actually relates to my dog's arthritis meds
blush.gif
)