Ulcers? Or Something else/Taking the P!?

3Beasties

Visit site
I've got an 8 year old gelding that I am having a few issues with. I won't bore you with all the details as I'd be here all night but will fill you in were I can.

He came to me 8 months ago but for various reasons I didn't start riding him till a week or so ago. He has 'history' so I have been taking it very slowly with him and have been going down the 'softly softly' route.

At the moment I am just trying to ride him in the field (no school and I'm not prepared to hack him), he is absolutely fine to mount, stands there beautifully whilst I clamber on, but is then very reluctant to go forward, to the point that we don't actually get anywhere :eek: :rolleyes:

He becomes very busy in his mouth, will cross his jaw, chew the bit, snatch his head forward etc despite me not having any contact with his mouth (I'm pretty sure this is a stress rather then a pain in his mouth response).

When asked to go forward he'll sometimes give me a step or two, or he may just keep playing with his mouth, go backwards or turn on the spot. On the odd occasion he has managed 8 or 9 steps at once but then he might not walk a step forwards afterwards.

He's very food orientated so I have done lots of praising and rewarding any good behaviour and just sit quietly when he hasn't wanted to do what is asked. *Touch wood* so far he hasn't done anything bad apart from the not going forward but I know that if pushed too far he is likely to tell me to F'off!

Yesterday when I 'rode' him (I use that word lightly as really I just sit there and we discuss going forward) he was worse then he perhaps has been, lots of turning on the spot, snatching at the bit, refusing to go forward, swishing his tail and the occasional kick at his stomach (which was making lots of noise)......which leads me to the question, could it be ulcers?

Since he's been here he has shown the odd symptom such as kicking at his belly and getting difficult to handle when moved yards but nothing that's really made others think he could have ulcers.

He holds his weight fairly well but he isn't in 'work' so I'm not sure that's a fair indication (although looking back at piccys from the winter he was slightly ribby).

Current routine is in during the day with ad-lib hay and a small fibre based feed, and out over night on not great grass. I always try and ride him in the evening after he's got a stomach full of hay.

He's had his teeth done yesterday (sharp at the back which had caused mouth ulcers but EDT didn't think it was anything that would cause ridden problems).
Was seen by a Chiropractor a few months back who didn't find any major problems (but did say he's had a badly fitting saddle in the past!)
And he was seen by a Physio last week who found a few tight spots but again nothing that she thinks would stop him going forward.

He lunges well and will march happily down the lane in long reins (although still not great in his mouth) so I don't think it's a confidence issue as such but strangely enough a friend came when I was riding him the other day and he would follow her around with me on him as a 'passenger'.

So any ideas what the problem could be? Does he just need to learn that going forward isn't going to result in pain (or a fight from the rider)? Do you think it sounds like ulcers may be the problem?

He is such a lovely horse to deal with on the ground (usually!) which makes me think there's more to it then him just taking the P!ss but he really is making me scratch my head a bit about what it could be!

Any thoughts and ideas much appreciated!

All I have to offer is Pizza but it's rather yummy so you'll have to get in there quick ;)

TicTac

Visit site
Hmm. You say this horse has history but dont say too much about it. However from what you are saying it sounds more like a discomfort or confidence issue.

I would probably start by taking the horse out for walks in a bridle without a rider to build up trust and confidence while out and about. Then progress to riding out with either another horse, if you can or somebody walking in front.

When I first got my mare tictac, she never refused to go forward as such but was incredibly nappy from day one and it was only by doing lot's of the above that I finally cracked the problem. However because she was persistantly ' sour' at going forward properly I realised that she obviously did have a physical problem, which was diagnosed as severe kissing spine via xrays
(The physio only ever said that she was bit tight accross the back) She had the op to remove 4 DSP and went on to make a full recovery and become a generally happier horse.

Traumatised or previously ill treated horses can react in all sorts of ways to situations they are not happy with, but taking the p*ss IMO is not one of them.

Maybe if you could afford it, get the vet to scope him for possible ulcers. I've not had any experience with this sort of problem so not sure what to advise. There are supplements out there designed specifically for ulcers though. Maybe try one of those?

Last edited:

3Beasties

Visit site
Thanks Tic Tac :)

He's always been a bit quirky from what I can gather but I know that he was in work last September and schooling over 1.40M, he also passed a 5 stage vetting back then to so he obviously was going to some degree not long before he came to me.

He is so full of confidence when being lead down the road and he will happily march ahead in long reins (if anything he slows down when we turn for home), not spooky and not bothered by traffic etc.
He did go to a schooling yard for a few days (there is a post about that somewhere that has a lot more details) where they tried hacking him in company but he was much the same as he is now, he came back shortly after going there as he ended up broncing in the road and at the time I felt like it must have been a back issue and wanted to get that checked.

KS was something that I was concerned about but the chiro couldn't find any signs of it and more recently the physio has seen him and after he showed her his flexibility she is also convinced that KS is not an issue.

He is a complete puzzle!

noodle_

Visit site
as above

my first reaction wasnt ulcers (my mare had really bad ulcers and other crap going on in there - and she was evil, stopped eating for 3 days and literally wanted to kill me when she saw her tack)

As you dont know his history id imagine he's waiting for pain perhaps?

mine had a badly fitting saddle and took her months to get over it and move on

i eventually used bribery (Carrots) to get her shifting - short term :)

noodle_

Visit site
yes

but sorry to say (probably shouldnt tell you this..)! she been retired ! (shes 6)

She just coliced when i went to ride her/take her out etc - she just freaks. (ulcers flair up)...i was borderline considering pts next year if she dosent improve but im giving her until spring...if she copes (shes now out 24.7) then i will have a foal off her (possibly). She should be 100% with that as im not riding her!

On paper, she should be ok to ride now...but shes not, and tbh i love her to bits so rather her be "sound", fat and breed me a nice foal than try ride her and give her colic and end up pts. (which is a possibility if she kept colicing) i can stable her and not ride and shes bob on... no ulcers at all, or colic etc....just making her work!

Both aspects are the opposite but she just dosent enjoy seeing tack and doing work, in 2 years unless i was bribing her with carrots to canter (only way i got her going) even then she still wasnt happy.

But re yours; bribes may be the way forward... i will get shot for saying that but sometimes its needed!

can you chuck him out 24/7 and ride from the field?

3Beasties

Visit site
Ahh sorry to hear that :(

Mine doesn't seem to mind the tack, if I hold the bridle up to him he almost puts it on himself despite then getting gobby with the bit.

Unfortunately I can't turn him out 24/7 as I haven't got enough land (I'm not really suppose to have a horse at home over the summer as my field needs resting for winter so already I am breaking the rules with him!)

noodle_

Visit site
its ok :) she just dosent get riding is fun! i have concluded that not all horses actually want to be ridden....and her stressing is her way of saying" no"... (and threatening to take my face off with her teeth ! lol :D )

strange about the tack. do you use voice commands? or talk to him while riding?

if he marches out in long reins, you have to be verbal with those - dop you apply verbal riding?

3Beasties

Visit site
Yep I use voice aids, try to use them more then my legs TBH, and he also gets lots of praise with my voice :)

deicinmerlyn

Visit site
Vet job! Get the vet out if you havent already, it could be anything..from ulcers, to suspensory ligaments to ks.

Completely rule out any physical cause and then work on the behaviour if necessary.