ulcers?

TarantuLove

Visit site
Over the time i've had him my horse (who is nearly 20 years old now) has been prone to colic, despite natural feeding with low starch/sugar, adlib forage, removal of as much stress as possible etc. He gets gastric colic which sometimes goes away with lots of gentle walking and ive had to call the vet out on a few occasions to inject him with buscopan. He is more prone to colic if i turn him out 24/7 and he gorges himself.

He doesn't like being rugged up or girthed up, or brushed round his stomach. I'm starting to think he may have some stomach ulcers? Do you think its worth getting the vet out to scope?

Mimi2610

Visit site
Yes!! My mare is exactly the same and we had her scoped which revealed horrific grade 4 ulcers. Definately get it done, several vet clinics offer scoping days in conjunction with Gastroguard so you get it done for free otherwise it is around the £200 mark.

GG is very expensive but my vet said that the patent is coming off so there will be lots of cheaper alternatives flooding the market. After my mare was treated with GG, I feed her dengie hi-fi with chaff and a teaspoon with soda bicarb mixed in and so far it has been v.effective. Avoid the haylage, sugabeet, or anything with high sugar levels. Good luck, hope he gets better.