Ulcers

Goldenstar

Visit site
Just thought I would post this for anyone interested .
My vets tell me that injectable omeprazole is now available in the U.K.
It's one jab either weekly or monthly ( I can't remember what they said ) it is said to give a 20 % better performance verses paste and the dose can be used in a small amount for those giving the drug at a 25% dose for horses with long term health issues .
And it stops the need for the early morning dosing then wait an hour before breakfast that has be good .

JillA

Visit site
Did they have any information about length of treatment and cost relative to the oral versions? Presumably injections will be IV and need a vet visit, and cost is an issue for a lot of owners. Interesting to see whether cost rules it out over time as the treatment of choice.

emfen1305

Visit site
It's one jab either weekly or monthly ( I can't remember what they said ) it is said to give a 20 % better performance verses paste and the dose can be used in a small amount for those giving the drug at a 25% dose for horses with long term health issues .
And it stops the need for the early morning dosing then wait an hour before breakfast that has be good .

i'd be interested in this! I'm just about to do another 2 weeks of half dose at peptizole as i suspect my boy's ulcers have come back a little bit. But i could never do the hour before breakfast thing in the morning because someone else does him for me so i just used to do it at night and leave half an hour before feeding at that seemed to work for me!

_GG_

Visit site
It's my understanding its not IV and I will be able to give it myself the cost is about the same .

Gosh, this would have been a godsend for me in 2015. George had to have 4 courses of GG and it ended up being an absolute nightmare. I had to core carrots and fill them as the sight of the syringe eventually made him live on his hind legs. Then the carrots stopped working. Thankfully, after going through a gazillion trials of feeds, we have it cracked now but I could easily see this as being a very welcome alternative.

gunnergundog

Visit site

Do you have any more information on this please or would you be kind enough to put me in contact with your vets as mine are saying it's not available. Ranitidine is, I believe, but that's not what ned requires.

I found this dated May this year re a trial on injectable omeprazole but can't find anything else. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/evj.12688/abstract
Any help appreciated.

Notimetoride

Visit site
My horse is having a course of these, after battling with ulcers for a year now. The injections are an eyewatering £250 a time and shes having one a week for 3 weeks !!!!!

Girlracer

Visit site
I just cannot comprehend how this works, I am not saying it doesn't work, I just can't get my head round it is all!

My boy is just coming to the end of a course of Ulcergold, he scoped more or less clear 2 weeks ago but has continued the course (on a gradually smaller dose) until he comes off of box rest (he has a KS op mid way through ulcer treatment!).

Melody Grey

Visit site
My horse is having a course of these, after battling with ulcers for a year now. The injections are an eyewatering £250 a time and shes having one a week for 3 weeks !!!!!

Sorry but the sceptic in me wonders whether the eye watering cost is because vets can't bear the potential loss of income through their being an alternative to mega expensive gastrogard/ peptizole etc.