Ulcers?

charlotte0916

Visit site
Hi all,
Since my last post I've recently got a new mare!! She is fab so far but has a couple of behaviors that are making me think of ulcers in the back of my mind.
She looks great condition wise, is happy to work if a bit sticky on her right rein (She is just 5 though) and is generally a happy camper but she is snappy about having her rug on, grumpy with her girth (paws and a bit snappy) and when she is being tacked up will grab onto the nearest surface and grate her teeth on it. I saw the last behavior at one of her viewings briefly so asked the vet to check it out during her viewing - she didn't see it as wasn't tacked up in her stable but said she was very sensitive and snappy about her girth area being touched but was happy with her condition and her moving through in canter so to keep an eye on it going forward.
The reactiveness to the girth has improved some what since the addition of half a sheep and a non-elasticated girth but still comes with a dose of the evils. Bless her she is entitled to her opinions if it's just a matter of not wanting to be poked generally but I'm not sure if I'm being a bit precious and she's just being a mare or if it's worth looking into?
I like to treat them all as if they could potentially have ulcers anyway so she is currently on pink mash and pink powder, ad-lib hay, worked 4 days per week with chaff before and 10 hours of daily turnout.
Thoughts?

Annagain

Visit site
I think once you've had the thought that it could be ulcers, it's worth scoping to either get a diagnosis or put your mind at rest. Otherwise it'll always niggle at you and if you find out at a later date that she does have ulcers, you'll guilt trip yourself for not checking sooner. Is she insured?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I think once you've had the thought that it could be ulcers, it's worth scoping to either get a diagnosis or put your mind at rest. Otherwise it'll always niggle at you and if you find out at a later date that she does have ulcers, you'll guilt trip yourself for not checking sooner. Is she insured?
^this, mine looked great when I had her scoped and had ulcer-friendly management, the thing that tipped me to making the call to book her in was girthiness which was unusual for her, and there we found squamous and pyloric ulcers.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
Agree with the above. Shes definitely got the classic symptoms.

charlotte0916

Visit site

That is what I keep coming back to - I hate the idea that she's telling me she's uncomfortable and I might ignore it until she has to 'shout' it, if she does have a problem. Generally she is cuddly and loves grooming/being scratched so it's not just that she doesn't like people in her space. She is insured atm so may get in touch with the vets and explore our options.