Unaffiliated dressage - calling the test

autumn7

Visit site
As a returner to dressage after a number of years I've noticed that the majority of competitors have a caller for their test, (just talking unaff. prelim level here at local venues) whereas in my youth we would never dream of having someone call our test, learning it seemed all part and parcel of the occasion. Why do you think this is? I'm curious! They've not become more difficult over the years from what I can see.

barbaraNcolin

Visit site
Feel free to shoot me, but I think it's laziness.

I regularly compete at unaff dr in novice and elementary and you still get people calling tests at that level. I've got a short term plan of doing a medium but the end of the year, if I can find one unaff, but I wouldn't dare have a caller. It's just not *proper*
I confess to having a caller when I first came back to dr 3 years ago but I have a rubbish memory and no sense of direction. I don't see how people can really ride and concentrate on their test when you are doing novice and above as everything just comes so quickly!

halt_at_x

Visit site
I agree that more people do seem to have callers these days. I rarely have a caller, and I seem to be the exception in these parts. I only resort to a caller when under a lot of stress in other parts of my life as this can affect my memory (the old grey matter ain't what it used to be).

On a related note. What is with the walk and trot tests these days? Every venue seems to run them and they are really popular. Back in the days when I started out (the dark ages - clearly) if you couldn't/wouldn't canter at a competition you were deemed to be not ready for one. Perhaps we should have trotting pole competitions for people who would like to do SJ but would rather not jump?

Katie

Visit site
i've had a caller once because i was getting nervous about forgetting the test, though not usually. i went to watch an affilated dressage and everyone except one or two people had callers :confused:

Baileyhoss

Visit site
Of course it's lazyness. I'm perfectly capable of learning tests. I do so for eventing and used to know most of the prelim tests off pat anyway, however, I am a lazy arse and have been known to use a caller just because I can to save the 'effort' of remembering.

Some people have difficulty remembering if they are new to dressage or very nervous. But if weren't allowed one, i'm sure they would manage to learn.

superpony

Visit site
I agree with barbaraNcolin that its mostly laziness, but i understand if people are really nervous.

I've never had a caller, partly because i think its a good practice to get into learning the test and then you don't have to worry about listening, you can just concentrate on where your going. But mostly because my Dad takes me to competitions and he freely admits that if he was calling we would not even get a quarter of the way through the test!

Kenzo

Visit site
I have a caller.

I can learn the test till I'm blue in the face at home, in my head, on a peice of paper, can tell someone it, ride it in the school but come to the day when I ride the test in a different arena, I seem to mess it up half way though, mind just goes blank, it's not nerves either.

Maybe I'm just useless :D:eek:, I'm certainly not lazy though.

legend22

Visit site
I'm new to dressage but i use a caller as although I 'know' the tests sometimes I have to ride a few different test quite close together. For example yesterday I rode 5 different tests some of which were only 15mins apart so it does get confusing!

atouchwild

Visit site
I quite regularly do dressage both Trailblazers and RC. I generally have a caller - why? Because yes, I am lazy! I am one of these that very very rarely runs through a dressage test on the horse, normally I get somebody to read it for me on the way to the show, just so I have half a clue where Im going. I know this is most peoples idea of hell, but it works for me!
Having said that, I went to the Trailblazers Champs in 08 and 09 and learnt 4 different tests without any problems - thus highligting the fact that it is just laziness. In a way I found it easier without a reader as I only had to concentrate on myself and the horse, but while there is no penalisation (if that's a word?!) I will keep on with my reader thanks!
What I will say is that I always say to my reader, if you read it wrong and I follow wrong, then it's my fault because I should have learnt it better myself.
For what it's worth, I do also think thewy should deduct, say, 2 marks for having a reader. Then I would definitely learn them - I can lose marks easy enough thanks!

ETS: I do BE too and obviously can't have a caller then, so, I can do it, but only when I have to!

Last edited:

autumn7

Visit site
Five tests, Legend22?!! Good grief. What were they? Round here the most venues offer the grass roots folk like me are maybe choice of one w/t test and two prelims, (one may be restricted, just depends), then it's on to Novice etc. Not reached these dizzy heights yet, prob. never will as not overly dressage orientated.

Halt_at_x ; I did do two w/t as first outings with my young horse which I felt was useful just because I could, but then felt obliged to enter Prelim. Frankly I'd feel embarassed continuing w/t month after month as some seem to, and as for those that simply use them as warm ups before the "real tests" - that is just not on in my book. Especially when the same riders bag the top placings week after week in the w/t test doing this, then score in the higher ranks in the prelims immediately after. What's that all about!

As Baileyhoss says, BE don't allow callers and competitors manage fine. Think marks should be forfeited if a caller is needed, as alwaystrying suggested. Oooh. How hard am I!!

coss

Visit site
I personally dislike having a caller, partly because my horse is likely to decide the caller will eat him and i'd have to deal with extra spooking problems and have enough of them as it is! However, I regularly am a caller for people and have been told that unless your timing is good then you are off putting. Having someone there to jog your memory when riding a difficult horse isn't a bad idea. I remember the judge and writer having a good laugh when I remained calm and continued calling the test as the horse and rider nearly landed on me from a spook and were expected to do a half 20m circle. Yes the rider knew the test but when facing the wrong way trying not to cross her tracks (which would get an error of course) having someone say the next movement gave a clear marker to aim for. And to clarify, I have called up to and including advanced medium- very possible and movements don't come to quick unless there is poor use of arena from what i've found.

legend22

Visit site
Five tests, Legend22?!! Good grief. What were they? Round here the most venues offer the grass roots folk like me are maybe choice of one w/t test and two prelims, (one may be restricted, just depends), then it's on to Novice etc. Not reached these dizzy heights yet, prob. never will as not overly dressage orientated.

Ha,ha! 3 prelims and 2 novice tests. Still rather be jumping though!

Natpillai

Visit site
Not sure about laziness although judging from some of these responses that's exactly what it is!! Personally i could never have a caller as i learn the test pattern rather than the letters - if you told me to circle at B I'd probably pull up and have to look around the arena for the marker!!! (not that I don't know where the letters are, that's just not how I learn tests!!).

Interesting to hear that a lot of people just can't be bothered - i was shocked when I started BD because most people I compete against have a caller. I always thought I was just extremely lucky to have been blessed with a good memory for these things and other people must really struggle so need the caller. Maybe that's not the case!!! :)

I'm not judging people either way, but I do think that people should lose a mark or two for having a caller because, I think, the overall ambeince and flow of the test is interrupted by having someone bellowing at the side of the arena!! And, also, jusdging from this thread, people have callers because they are lazy so maybe a few dropped marks would give them some impetus. Or maybe I'm just saying that because it means I've got more chance of winning!!! :)

On a separate note - totally agree re. walk and trot tests. I don't see the point!

susie2193

Visit site
My daughter rode her first dressage test when she was 7, (she's now 18), and has never had a caller. But what she really dislikes is when someone is calling a test in an arena adjacent to hers. She's trying to concentrate on remembering her test and someone is calling a different test, in fact the only time she has gone wrong is in a situation like this.

You can't have a caller for BE or PC, so children coming up the PC route have to learn their own tests. I agree with others that it is laziness and think it should be penalised.

TGM

Visit site
I sometimes call tests for my daughter, not because she is too lazy to learn the test or doesn't have a good memory, but because if she is doing more than one test on one day, then it is easy to confuse the two tests. She always learns the tests though, and I am just there as a back up. Additionally, it is helpful if there is some sort of blip in the test such as the horse spooking or tripping, as this can sometimes fluster the rider and they can momentarily forget where they are meant to be going.

I don't see why callers should be penalised - at the end of the day it is a test of riding and training, not the rider's memory!

SuperSketch

Visit site
I don't have a caller as I find it distracts me but I can see why people would want to have one. Its down to personal preference and the whole time BD is allowing it, I don't think riders should be penalized for it. Some tests have a hell of a lot in them to remember, especially for people who do not do Dressage regularly or are new to it. Showjumping and XC have numbers (I know not all XC has numbers but say it does for arguments sake lol), therefore Dressage should have callers IMO :).

Sol

Visit site
I didn't used to have a called, but there's a woman on the yard who basically just reads for all of us regardless. I did a test last night without and prefered it! Much easier to concentrate :) I haven't done a novice without yet though, as again, there's always someone to read anyway, and all of the changes of rein do confuse me a touch (I usually almost go wrong with a caller though, so not sure if I might as well go without?!)

brushingboots

Visit site
I mainly used to have my mother as a caller is useless.

'A Up the Centre Line Turn Right - oh no wait Left - No Right - no left' by this time you have reached the centre line and are standing there utterly confused

or

'Canter Between B and F - NO DONT CANTER THERE canter between F and A' by this point you have already cantered between B and F

ho hum..
hence why i now learn my tests.

brushingboots

Visit site
I mainly used to have my mother as a caller is useless.

'A Up the Centre Line Turn Right - oh no wait Left - No Right - no left' by this time you have reached the centre line and are standing there utterly confused

or

'Canter Between B and F - NO DONT CANTER THERE canter between F and A' by this point you have already cantered between B and F

ho hum..
hence why i now learn my tests.

applecart14

Visit site
I never used to have a caller due to the fact that I have never had anybody bothered to come with me to events. Then my friend started helping me out and she calls for me occassionally but I must admit I like to try and remember my tests as it is more professional in my opinion. However after a couple of years of being able to learn to long arena tests at unaff nov and elem level in three days without riding them at home before my test (can never get the chance to use the arena in the menage at the yard as everyone else is in there) I suddenly became unable to remember my tests and badly lost my confidence. Since then I've convinced myself that I am well and truly hopeless and just don't seem able to remember them and of course it often turns out that I can't. There's a girl at our yard that competes affiliated. Wherever she competes she is usually surrounded by about ten people all of whom will read for her at the drop of the hat. She is very lucky. I am glad of my friend who is able to help me, but again this weekend I have two novice tests (luckily in short arena's) and I have again convinced myself that I will fail due to my memory.

Ebbw

Visit site
I learn my tests but I still have a caller at present.

The main reason for this, well, I'm very new to dressage and I have a green little cob. Sometimes, if he's s bit spooky he'll do something that will distract me. At one event horse was so busy gawping at those in the seating gallery that in my attempts to move him forward I totally forgot where I was in the test, I made a mistake and got beeped. It flustered me so much that I didn't manage to get back on course (had a mind blank) and ended up retiring. So our day out ended with no marks/feedback and was a bit of a wasted entry fee and outing. So now I have a caller so if I have a mishap at least I don't have to worry about forgetting the test!

Once we both increase in cofidence I plan to do away with having a caller.

Thelwell_Girl

Visit site
I agree that more people do seem to have callers these days. I rarely have a caller, and I seem to be the exception in these parts. I only resort to a caller when under a lot of stress in other parts of my life as this can affect my memory (the old grey matter ain't what it used to be).

On a related note. What is with the walk and trot tests these days? Every venue seems to run them and they are really popular. Back in the days when I started out (the dark ages - clearly) if you couldn't/wouldn't canter at a competition you were deemed to be not ready for one. Perhaps we should have trotting pole competitions for people who would like to do SJ but would rather not jump?

I have done a grand total of one dressage test, at my riding school this summer.

Safe to say, I would have been eliminated if one of the instructors hadn't stepped in and started calling my test for me! (Prelim 10).

I got to about half way, then fooom all went out of my head. Now I had drilled this test over and over in the sand school, written it out on paper etc etc, but it just did not go in.

Does this mean im lazy? I FAR would've preferred a walk/trot test, but there you go. I got just over 50%! :D :D

With regards to trot pole competitions, i think I could ace those :D Or even have a course set up but just with poles on the ground so I can get used to cantering round a course.

I've only ever done one whole course of jumps (came off once and landed on my feet! :rolleyes:) and without staff and friends shouting the colours of the jump to go to I probably wouldve just sat there crying :eek:

So, not all riders who need callers etc are lazy! I worked my a*s off to do that test and course!

miss_molly

www.katevickersequestrian.webs.com
I personally dont have a caller, but majority of people where I have competed have. I mainly think its due to people riding so many different tests on the same day. A lot of trophy hunters near me and they enter every class going even thought the get placed 1st and 2nd everytime!!!!

I can understand nerves / new to dressage / bad memory but I still personally think learning it yourself is more professional.

applecart14

Visit site

I agree with you about the walk and trot tests. I think they are silly thing. People should start at prelim. Everyone should be able to canter in a test.

debsflo

Visit site
walk trot tests are a good way of introducing horse and rider to white boards ,indoor arenas ,competition aspect of dressage and building confidence. i often call for my daughter but she still learns the test and is improving all the time . i think this attitude is what puts a lot of people off dressage .i attended a local dressage coaching workshop recently and the professionals running it would definatley not agree with no callers and walk trot tests if needed to improve confidence.

Saratoga

Visit site
Callers are one of my pet hates, and it is more and more common these days. It is infuriating when you are trying to ride your test and you have a rider in the next arena with a caller bellowing out their test!!

Everyone with a caller should have marks take away from their score....-2 marks perhaps?