Under 16s Wearing Spurs?

J_sarahd

Visit site
I guess I'm just opening up a discussion on whether you think under 16s should wear spurs as I know a lot of unaffiliated shows don't allow spurs to be used by under 16s (not sure about affiliated shows, someone help me?)

The only reason I'm opening this discussion is because I've just seen a video of a girl I know is 13 wearing spurs at an unaff prelim dressage comp. Don't get me wrong, I've never ridden the horse myself, but as a general rule I don't really agree with spurs being used by people that young and at that low a level. What are people's thoughts?

(And before people bring it up, I know I started a thread on here about spurs a few months ago. I am an adult and I only wore them once, never again!)

alainax

Visit site
If the young person has sufficiently stable lower leg, outstanding core strength, tact and ability to use the tool for refinement required I have no problem with it.

It took me 20 years of riding coupled with ownership, breaking, training competing and teaching before I felt I was able to use them correctly.

I haven’t seen any junior riders I’d feel were stable enough to use them, but then I’ve not seen very many of the upper ranks!

zaminda

Visit site
I wore them on my instructors advice from about 14. However I have as an adult seen instructors putting spurs on children I personally don't think ride well enough to use them as a quick fix.

Olive1618

New User
Visit site
I think it depends on three things, why, strength and knowledge. I am 16, have the lower leg & core strength to use them and was taught by an instructor on how to use for the first few times, they were used on a schoolmaster for refined aids.
However there may be a 30yo who doesnt have the strength to use them, or someone using them for speed, or someone with strenth but no knowledge, which would be worse than a 10yo with balance & knowledge using them. I dont need them on my current horse :)

J_sarahd

Visit site
Okay, see I definitely agree with the fact it's rider ability rather than age. I suppose it's because I don't personally know any under 16s who are competing higher than Novice dressage and personally, I don't think spurs have a place at that level. I believe they should be used to refinement as the aids for lateral movements are all very similar, that the spurs will help with differentiating. I guess a lot of people I know appear to be using spurs as a way of getting their horse quicker off their leg and personally I don't agree with that.

fabbydo

Visit site
Many top juniors use spurs sympathetically so it really does depend on the rider. (I'd query spurs for a prelim but that's a little off topic.)

MagicMelon

Visit site
If Im honest I dont see why spurs are even allowed in dressage full stop, let alone at the lower levels. But then I hate the things so perhaps Im biased! I dont think anyone should wear them, but especially kids at the low levels. I dont think kids should be allowed whips as a general rule either!

ponynutz

Visit site
I feel that it is very dependant on the situation - truly I believe that only riders with outstanding athletic ability (core and leg strength, and a strong position) could be in a position to use spurs in events other than hacking or cross-country/hunting, where the horse may need some more encouragement than normal. As many younger children probably are only one or two years into the sport, perhaps it isn't the best idea especially without an adult. Many children may also not have the emotional awareness or empathy to use spurs sparingly and as they are intended to be used; therefore they could also be prone to a bit of "Pony Club Kicking" if in a sticky situation. All-round I don't believe it is a good idea, as it is very hard to not make mistakes and may take the pleasure out of riding from the constant pressure and fear of hurting their horse/pony.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
If Im honest I dont see why spurs are even allowed in dressage full stop, let alone at the lower levels. But then I hate the things so perhaps Im biased! I dont think anyone should wear them, but especially kids at the low levels. I dont think kids should be allowed whips as a general rule either!

Ah, but perhaps you've not had the experience of riding a really finely tuned dressage horse? Spurs, used as they are supposed to be, allow you to do the lightest, most refined of aids. I have a super, super sensitive Spanish horse that I always wear spurs on, because he gets upset when the aids aren't clear. I also have a happy-go-lucky, really rather lazy chap that I never wear spurs with, because he needs to learn to listen and respond and I want to use quite "broad" aids until he really starts to get it.

It makes me sad when I realise that a lot of people think that bits are the brakes, and spurs are the accelerator....

Snowfilly

Visit site
I used spurs on one mare from 14-16, and I was much more capable of using them then than I would be now! Core strength and leg accuracy has gone over the years.

It really depends on the rider, and why the horse needed them. Age doesn't always mean much.

J_sarahd

Visit site
It makes me sad when I realise that a lot of people think that bits are the brakes, and spurs are the accelerator....

Yes! The only time I used spurs was because my pony was struggling with left canter so my instructor suggested them to see if he was just misinterpreting my aids. Turns out he wasn’t and the spurs were abandoned. Too many people think spurs = speed.

millikins

Visit site
My daughter used blunt spurs on one pony for PC eventing and had to be assessed as competent by the DC and signed off on her membership card. Pony was well schooled and responded well to the refinement, she also made it quite clear if she thought they'd been used inappropriately by bucking.

Fiona

Visit site
I guess I'm just opening up a discussion on whether you think under 16s should wear spurs as I know a lot of unaffiliated shows don't allow spurs to be used by under 16s (not sure about affiliated shows, someone help me?)

The only reason I'm opening this discussion is because I've just seen a video of a girl I know is 13 wearing spurs at an unaff prelim dressage comp. Don't get me wrong, I've never ridden the horse myself, but as a general rule I don't really agree with spurs being used by people that young and at that low a level. What are people's thoughts?

(And before people bring it up, I know I started a thread on here about spurs a few months ago. I am an adult and I only wore them once, never again!)

In pony club under 14s have to be signed off by the DC before they can wear spurs.

Fiona

SpringArising

Visit site
I believe they should be used to refinement as the aids for lateral movements are all very similar, that the spurs will help with differentiating. I guess a lot of people I know appear to be using spurs as a way of getting their horse quicker off their leg and personally I don't agree with that.

But that's exactly what you're wanting to happen when using them with lateral work by saying you think they should be used as 'refinement' - aka, achieving the same result, faster.

I know more young riders who are good than older ones. In fact, I know VERY few adult riders who are genuinely good.

conniegirl

Visit site
But that's exactly what you're wanting to happen when using them with lateral work by saying you think they should be used as 'refinement' - aka, achieving the same result, faster.
No its not to get the reaction quicker, its to get a more precise signal which is easier for the horse to understand and interpret

Example if i give you a page of text and want you to focus on one small typo, are you likely to be able to find that typo easier if i wave my hand at the paper or point to the typo with my finger?

J_sarahd

Visit site
I spoke to a girl last night who is around 13 and on Instagram did one of those this or that posts. The question was whips or spurs? And she answered with spurs. I messaged her to ask if she wore spurs and she said no but she would rather “a small nudge than a massive whack”. And I think this is the mindset of a LOT of people. And I guess this is my point.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
It doesn't have to be/shouldn't be a "massive whack" though...there is a place for both whips and spurs IF they are used for the right reasons, in the right way, and at the precise moment. They are both tools to help make the communication and training clearer, not to punish - although of course they can be misused for this, as can any aspect of riding.

J_sarahd

Visit site
It doesn't have to be/shouldn't be a "massive whack" though...there is a place for both whips and spurs IF they are used for the right reasons, in the right way, and at the precise moment. They are both tools to help make the communication and training clearer, not to punish - although of course they can be misused for this, as can any aspect of riding.

This is what I said to her. I told her if you’re giving your horse a “massive whack” then you’re doing it wrong. A little tap to be like “oi listen to my inside leg” or whatever is all that’s needed. In my opinion. If you’re having to give your horse a massive whack, you need to reconsider your schooling tactics. And I said spurs are not a trade off for a whip. They’re used for different things. They have different jobs.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Facile answer for a facile question... But that misconception doesn't automatically disappear when you turn 16. Look at the current thread about someone using spurs (and two whips) and struggling to trot - ignorance exists at all ages and levels.

Scarlett

Visit site
I'm far more concerned about ability & knowledge than age - there are 13yos out there that are far more capable of using them than some older riders.

Absolutely. I have a teenager who shares one of my horses and rides the others. I showed her how to use spurs as I would far rather my horses went off the leg correctly than not. She has a stable lower leg and knows how and when to use them.

I'd rather a spur or a whip used correctly once or twice than a horse not going forward properly or having to watch folk kick constantly. I cannot abide seeing folk pony club kicking their way round anything.

J_sarahd

Visit site
Absolutely. I have a teenager who shares one of my horses and rides the others. I showed her how to use spurs as I would far rather my horses went off the leg correctly than not. She has a stable lower leg and knows how and when to use them.

I'd rather a spur or a whip used correctly once or twice than a horse not going forward properly or having to watch folk kick constantly. I cannot abide seeing folk pony club kicking their way round anything.

Thing is, from my personal experience, the majority of people who pony club kick do not have a stable enough lower leg. Said girl from my original post is a good rider for the most part, but her leg swings with every stride. Therefore my concern would be whether she is at a stage where it is safe for her to wear spurs. Apart from that one time, I’d never wear spurs because I know my lower leg sometimes has a mind of its own and I’d rather use other tactics to get a horse in front of my leg than use spurs because I’m simply not secure enough to wear them.