Under what circs would you send a horse to a pro?

DirectorFury

Visit site
This is partly me being nosey and partly musing about the future for my horse.

The horse in question is an OK sized Sec D that needs regular work for health reasons. I can't/won't sell her and refuse to loan off the yard. I've been advertising for a rider for the last 8 months with no joy. She's not likely to ever trouble any leaderboards BE/BD/BS so there's probably a limited market of pros who would take her on. That said she's jumped up to 1.50 at home so, with a braver rider, there might be some hope!

Under what circumstances would you send your horse to pro? This is under the assumption that there are no decent freelance riders in the area and you can afford it. How would you then go about finding the right person?

Asha

Visit site
There are plenty of pros that would take her on. Look out for the youngish up and coming event riders. Competition livery is a big market. Where I am there are 2 within a few miles : Google, rarity equestrian and CJC Eventing. CJC eventing has one full section D mare that competes and wins at Newcomers, others she competes at BE at lower levels. Rarity equestrian used to compete a haflinger at BS

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
If I could no longer ride Amber - eg health reasons, other commitments etc. I can't imagine ever being willing to sell her or loan her. But I might send her to be an 'owned by/ridden by' horse and enjoy eventing her 2nd hand! But I would not choose a pro who already has a string of horses but would prefer a talented, committed amateur or young unestablished pro rider who would treat her like a member of the family! I sometimes see young, dedicated, passionate riders asking for rides. I'd like to support someone like that.

Asha

Visit site
sorry, didn't answer your question. I have and do use pro riders. I do that because im not good enough or brave enough to compete mine. I bred them myself, and have no intention of selling, so I get a lot of enjoyment watching Aria out and about. But, I do it from my home, I don't send them to the pros yard, as I enjoy having them at home. Riding wise, im really only good enough to do low level RC stuff. But get a real buzz being out and about at the affiliated comps being an owner. Its opened up a whole new world .

hihosilver

Visit site
Yes I think there is a lot of positives to sending to a pro- if you choose carefully. I send mine to a talented older pro that is so committed, never has holidays and literally lives for her horses. Mine gets treated as her own and she does her very best to keep cost down. I think I've been lucky though. I wouldn't want to have sent my very talented and capable boy to a top pro where he probably would have got pushed or ridden hard through the BE levels and also cost an arm and a leg to do so. Due to injury I cant event any more but I love going out with him to events. He has had good success this season and I'm excited to see him progress further. As Asha said it opens up a whole new world.

DirectorFury

Visit site
Thanks all, multiquote is broken so it's had to reply to everyone but I appreciate all the advice!

Why don’t you just ride her?

If this was an option I wouldn't be asking the question. I've got a slipped disc in my lower back, 2 half fused vertebra at the bottom of my neck (which may or may not be to do with a genetic issue - only found it while they were looking for the slipped disc!), and some weird neuro stuff which I currently don't have an answer to. I also don't have any sort of time frame in which I will be fixed/able to ride again. I can manage a 5-10 minute walk and trot but my balance is shot so any spooks or playing up ends with me on the floor.

Do you want her to be competed or is it just someone to do general riding?

I don't really mind! If the rider wanted to compete I'm happy to bankroll that (within reason) but I'd be happy with her just being used to nanny others out hacking or for working at home.

Ideally I'd like her to stay on the current yard (full livery) but freelance riders want £40ph just to hack so after 10 hours riding on top of the normal full livery cost I'm paying well over the cost of schooling/competition livery with a pro.

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
My younger cob is with a professional dressage rider and this has been a really positive experience so I would recommend it. I can no longer ride my horse as I need a new hip. The aim was simply to end up with a very well schooled horse but in fact he has turned out to be more than that due to the really excellent and consistent work that the yard has put in with him, and I hope he is useful for them to have around. He is quite calm so was safe to put a new working pupil on to assess their riding ability, and to teach them in-hand work. He also buddies other horses out on hacks. I'm guessing that having one or two sensible and straightforward liveries in a pro training/competition yard is useful, especially when the owner is happy to be fairly accommodating!
Mine is the only cob amongst some very smart horses but as he is a 'common' type several people have booked training/lessons after seeing him at demos (if that cob can do those fancy moves then perhaps mine can too!). I've always told his rider that I own him for fun so they don't feel under pressure to produce him as a potential word-class horse - that would be absolutely hilarious:D - but he is competing successfully at a good level.
Good luck with finding something that suits you and your horse.

sport horse

Visit site
You say your horse is a Welsh D and not likely to trouble the leader boards at any of the affiliated disciplines. I suspect no Pro would be much interested unless they are being paid well for the job.

You do not want the horse to leave your livery yard.

Your options are therefore very limited and you have probably exhausted the local networks. Have you thought of possibly approaching the local pony club or riding club to see if there is perhaps someone capable who is possibly without a horse at present for whatever reason? You might find a good teenager who with some help will not only do a very good job but have great fun too. Be assured, if they have fun you will too.

Many years ago I got injured and gave my young show jumper to a local 16 year old just coming off ponies. He still rides for me 20+ years on, we have been through many horses and have had great success up to international level. You could not buy the 'fun'. Who would have thought it when I approached that young lad who was so excited to get his first owner!

rachk89

Visit site
I would love to be able to afford a pro rider for my horse. He would go so much further and do better with a better rider than me. I try my best, but I'm not the best or ever will be. He would flourish with someone who could take him to jumping and dressage events, maybe even eventing.

Sadly it will never happen as his vet report would terrify anyone and I can't afford it (assuming these riders are expensive), plus he's still in rehab so he's useless still. So he gets to put up with me, but he's happy so that's all that matters.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Your options are therefore very limited and you have probably exhausted the local networks. Have you thought of possibly approaching the local pony club or riding club to see if there is perhaps someone capable who is possibly without a horse at present for whatever reason? You might find a good teenager who with some help will not only do a very good job but have great fun too. Be assured, if they have fun you will too.

or ask local trainers or the affiliated disciplines networks if they know of anyone who might be keen. Before I bought Salty, I had asked my trainers if they could help me find a horse to ride when Millie retired, this kind of thing could have suited me well and my trainers and BD regional reps are well connected to help match up horses with riders. I know nothing about BS/BE regionally now but I'd imagine it would be the same, word of mouth can be really useful in this kind of situation.