Underhorsing my daughter with new pony

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I saw a superstar pony yesterday, about 15hands, I call it a pony because it was Reg New Forest and forest bred. Mum rode in showing classes and then her slight daughter who looked about nine or ten took it unassisted in the gymkhana, with full brakes and steering.
Was it a Rowdown pony by any chance?

honetpot

Visit site
Was it a Rowdown pony by any chance?

I didn't recognise the stallions name, but it was the image of my old Furzey Lodge mare but a lot bigger, and better feet. The type which is very forest bred, but the biggest NF I have ever seen, distinctive to me across a small show ground. I used to do stewarding at affiliated shows, usually they are stud bred if they are larger, and are often mistaken for a small Connemara, even by judges.

EASTIE17

Visit site
Sorry to hear that, but listen to the vet, thats what you paid for and dont let your heart overrule it. People sometimes do and its a very expensive mistake to make.
The right one is out there, panful to find but you'll get there in the end.
On your intial question, you were doing the right, alot of the riders on fizzy fast ponies end up not learning any technique, once the poles go up they are lost. Its fun to watch and fun for them but no good longer term if they are going to stick with it.

I don’t like mondays

Visit site
Sorry to hear that, but listen to the vet, thats what you paid for and dont let your heart overrule it. People sometimes do and its a very expensive mistake to make.
The right one is out there, panful to find but you'll get there in the end.
On your intial question, you were doing the right, alot of the riders on fizzy fast ponies end up not learning any technique, once the poles go up they are lost. Its fun to watch and fun for them but no good longer term if they are going to stick with it.
Thank you. It’s very easy to make decisions with the heart (been there and done that)

I don’t like mondays

Visit site
Any tips on where to find a good genuine pony, seems impossible to find. Are private homes generally better than dealers? So far I’ve tried both and no luck (the ones I’ve liked have turned out to be lame either at the 2nd viewing or the vetting!!). I know other adults with horses (like me) but Im not in the local pony club scene yet. I’ve heard lots of ponies sell or are loaned through word of mouth

HeyMich

Visit site
Any tips on where to find a good genuine pony, seems impossible to find. Are private homes generally better than dealers? So far I’ve tried both and no luck (the ones I’ve liked have turned out to be lame either at the 2nd viewing or the vetting!!). I know other adults with horses (like me) but Im not in the local pony club scene yet. I’ve heard lots of ponies sell or are loaned through word of mouth

What area of the country are you in? Yes, word of mouth is great, as is asking at your local PC - you don't need to be a fully involved member, just ask the DC of your local branch if he knows of anything available that may be suitable. One of the PCs around here (in Central Scotland) has a for sale/wanted page on their website and that is actually how I found both of my kids' current ponies. Definitely worth asking or putting up an advert if you can.

And regarding your original question - you need to get the pony that your daughter needs now, not the pony that she will want in 2 yrs time, or she'll never get to that stage! Good ponies change hands frequently for a reason.

I don’t like mondays

Visit site
What area of the country are you in? Yes, word of mouth is great, as is asking at your local PC - you don't need to be a fully involved member, just ask the DC of your local branch if he knows of anything available that may be suitable. One of the PCs around here (in Central Scotland) has a for sale/wanted page on their website and that is actually how I found both of my kids' current ponies. Definitely worth asking or putting up an advert if you can.

And regarding your original question - you need to get the pony that your daughter needs now, not the pony that she will want in 2 yrs time, or she'll never get to that stage! Good ponies change hands frequently for a reason.
Thank you. I’ll look up the local DC and see if they know if anything :) good idea