Uneven contact, rider error

not_with_it

Visit site
Does anyone have any tips on how to even out the contact?

I am finding myself riding with an uneven contact as in I always grab the left rein when half halting or if she gets strong. I seem unable to take a stronger contact with my right rein to even it out.
I have been spending loads of time getting her bending in each direction and she is going really well but I need to let go of that rein.

She does sometimes take hold of the left rein but I genuinley believe it is my fault, or I should say it is my fault.

3DE

Visit site
I find asking for rein back helps even out your contact. As soon as you pull or use one rein more than the other the rein back will be squint. If you school and then every five mins or so, stop and rein back, it will make you more concious of what you are doing with your hands :)

not_with_it

Visit site
Unfortunately that doesnt work. She drops behind the contact in the rein back.
I think its just a really bad habit since starting to ride again after a long lay off.
IMO she is a proper schoolmistress in that she does exactly what you ask. Ask her to go crooked and she will, ride properly and ask her to be straight and she will. Hence why I know all her faults are down to my riding.

pinktiger

Visit site
Unfortunately that doesnt work. She drops behind the contact in the rein back.
I think its just a really bad habit since starting to ride again after a long lay off.
IMO she is a proper schoolmistress in that she does exactly what you ask. Ask her to go crooked and she will, ride properly and ask her to be straight and she will. Hence why I know all her faults are down to my riding.

what about shoulder in??? on both reins both ways! and moving shoulders eg, changing rein E to B moving shoulders in?? does that make any sense???
If you dont have an even contact this will be almost impossible to be accurate at!!!

Last edited:

not_with_it

Visit site
All her lateral work is excellent and even and tbh most of the time the contact is even. Its just when she gets strong or needs a half halt that I go for the left rein more rather than both evenly. Im right handed so naturally my right should be the strongest.:confused:

pinktiger

Visit site
All her lateral work is excellent and even and tbh most of the time the contact is even. Its just when she gets strong or needs a half halt that I go for the left rein more rather than both evenly. Im right handed so naturally my right should be the strongest.:confused:

ahh!! i see!!! tricky one as half halts are usually split second and at crucial points interms or setting up for following movements,,,,, so does she loose her straightness and fall out???

not_with_it

Visit site
Try riding with your reins in the wrong hands - will make you more aware of what you are doing and maybe reduce reliance on the rein aids?

That could be interesting:D will try it tomorrow.

I am well aware that my stomach muscles arent what they used to be. I have asked Santa for some more.:)

soulfull

Visit site
You will probably find it is because your right shoulder is more forward and possibly your seat bone too. We are stronger all down the right side, so muscles tighter pulling that side slightly forward.

If you are like me you will have been doing it for SO long you may not be able to recognise it. So just try pushing right shoulder back slightly

I got so good at compensating no one could tell from the ground just how twisted I really was :p

not_with_it

Visit site
ahh!! i see!!! tricky one as half halts are usually split second and at crucial points interms or setting up for following movements,,,,, so does she loose her straightness and fall out???

No, she just looks to the left rather than bending to the right round my inside leg. Im well aware that I need to use my seat more rather than my reins but after a 2 year break my tummy is slightly flabby rather than toned.:cool:

not_with_it

Visit site
You will probably find it is because your right shoulder is more forward and possibly your seat bone too. We are stronger all down the right side, so muscles tighter pulling that side slightly forward.

If you are like me you will have been doing it for SO long you may not be able to recognise it. So just try pushing right shoulder back slightly

I got so good at compensating no one could tell from the ground just how twisted I really was :p

I seem to be the opposite way round. My left hip is usually infront. I was having problems with the left canter and as soon as I moved my left hip and shoulder back, hey presto, it all fell into place. :eek:

Maybe im just odd:D

pinktiger

Visit site
No, she just looks to the left rather than bending to the right round my inside leg. Im well aware that I need to use my seat more rather than my reins but after a 2 year break my tummy is slightly flabby rather than toned.:cool:

im interested as i have a similar problem and tend to panic and overcompensate on the otherside and then all goes (well you can imagin)!! Was it you that picked up on it or was it pointed out(how noticable is it)??? I wonder if it would help if you got on that electronic mechanical horse that picks up twisted hips,pelvic area,shows how even riding is or better sides ect, as it could be coming from somewhere else but ends up as an uneven contact!! 2 years off !! dont worry that tummy will be toned in no time!!!

not_with_it

Visit site
It was me that noticed it. Without meaning to sound big headed I am good at feeling and picking up on my faults. I just sometimes need help trying to correct them. I know this horse inside out and know it is me that causes most of her problems.
I did think about a physio session for me and her for christmas to straighten us both out.

oldvic

Visit site
It can help if you bridge the reins with a narrow bridge (so your hands are close together). It is then harder to use one rein more than the other and it makes you more aware of if you are pulling back on one rein. Alternatively try holding the reins with the thumb and index finger nearest the bit like you are holding a frying pan. This is helpful for contact issues from either horse or rider.

only_me

Visit site
What you could do, is think of always using the rein forward?

This also makes you aware of your hands, but in a more positive way?

I have a left hand with a mind of its own, and by thinking using the rein forward it is miles better, coupled with holding a whip underneath both thumbs :)

kerilli

Visit site
just out of interest, are you left handed? or, have you had an injury to your right side or right arm? just wondering.
it was explained to me like this: we're primates, it is instinctive for us to grab things with our hands, especially when we're tense or if we're worried, it's a subconscious "it'll save me" kind of thing (comes of growing up in trees, I guess!) It tends to be primarily with the dominant hand, but this can switch if you've had an injury to that side (as I have). Understanding WHY I do it helps me, anyway.
The moment I pick up the reins I have "my hands belong to the horse's mouth" uppermost in my mind, which really helps.
Riding with 'Spanish hands' (hands turned upside down, reins just between thumb and first finger) also helps.

not_with_it

Visit site
just out of interest, are you left handed? or, have you had an injury to your right side or right arm? just wondering.
it was explained to me like this: we're primates, it is instinctive for us to grab things with our hands, especially when we're tense or if we're worried, it's a subconscious "it'll save me" kind of thing (comes of growing up in trees, I guess!) It tends to be primarily with the dominant hand, but this can switch if you've had an injury to that side (as I have). Understanding WHY I do it helps me, anyway.
The moment I pick up the reins I have "my hands belong to the horse's mouth" uppermost in my mind, which really helps.
Riding with 'Spanish hands' (hands turned upside down, reins just between thumb and first finger) also helps.

I am right handed and have only ever injured my left shoulder, therefore you would think I would be weaker on my left side and take more of a contact with my right rein.
Maybe im just a freak!:D

aimeetb

Visit site
Try riding with your reins in the wrong hands - will make you more aware of what you are doing and maybe reduce reliance on the rein aids?

/\/\/\ this is great!!

Also, are you right handed?? My instructor once told me that I was very tactful with my right hand but a pit lump hammerish with my left and over the years she has noticed that alot. She thinks it may have something to do with the fact that whichever hand your are (right for example) you use this hand to do most of the fidly thing so it becomes very tactful where as you will load your clubby left hand! LOL!

Example when I get shopping out of the car I always plop the bags on my left hand and use my right to unlock and open doors etc.

She said piano players and other 2 handed things are generally better so said to try doing things backwards and do the fidly things with your heavy hand. It has lightened mine up a bit although I do still have to be very aware that I am less giving with my left!

Edit to say - If you're not righthanded just ignore all of the above! LOL
Edited again to say - Oops I didnt se above! Thought i'd read them all - you are right handed! yay! x
x

Last edited: