Uneven line of teeth - is this a problem?

pepsimaxrock

Visit site
Hi everyone

My friend is looking for a young event horse and has found a lovely 4yo gelding
BUT
(there's always a but isnt there)
The line of his lower teeth is uneven, the incisor seems to be set further down in his gum than the other teeth.
He bitted fine, does not seem in pain at all, and held his head beautifully when tried in the arena, on the flat, over showjumps, xc jumps and in an open field.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this and whether any problems might await in the future?

Any help would be really really welcome

Many thanks friends

xxx

Tammytoo

Visit site
She should have a word with her vet or an EDT and get their thoughts. Perhaps she could take a picture to show them to make it easier to give an opinion.

pepsimaxrock

Visit site
Thanks, yes that is good advice and I am sure she will do this tomorrow; the horse is a long way away and we will have to ask the seller to take a picture.

However I was wondering if anyone had experienced this before and whether any problems were caused by this?

NaeNae87

Visit site
Hi everyone

My friend is looking for a young event horse and has found a lovely 4yo gelding
BUT
(there's always a but isnt there)
The line of his lower teeth is uneven, the incisor seems to be set further down in his gum than the other teeth.
He bitted fine, does not seem in pain at all, and held his head beautifully when tried in the arena, on the flat, over showjumps, xc jumps and in an open field.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this and whether any problems might await in the future?

Any help would be really really welcome

Many thanks friends

xxx

Without seeing pics it is hard to say, but provided he is in no pain, the vet/dentist should not have to do anything drastic to his teeth. Your friend will need to be super vigilant as you are prob aware, teeth problems can cause a horses weight to drop off, can cause problems grazing and also ridden problems-It will cause his teeth to wear unevenly but provided his teeth are seen to regularly, there shouldn't be a problem. :)

Rebels

Visit site
One of mine had a baby tooth on a horrendous angle when he was rising four, had it checked when vetted but it soon dropped out and the adult tooth grew straight.