Uneven sandschool

monkeymad

Visit site
I have a school which has sand mixed with plastic granules (it is about 4 years old). It was riding very firm as the sand had become very compact so we were advised to get a harrow with bigger spikes to loosen up the surface more. This worked very well, but in one section of the school we have got what I can only describe as 'bumps'. When running the harrow round the school in the car, you can really feel them as the harrow sort of bounces up and down over this particular section. Has anyone else experienced this and any suggestions as to what is causing this? Thanks.

monkeymad

Visit site
Mmm, and I was sweating enough driving the car and harrow round the school with all the windows open this evening!! Does your school get very 'firm' aswell? I've always found other sand schools to ride deep but mine is v firm, I think it is because it doesn't get that much use (only 2 horses schooling in there a few times a week).

bailey14

Visit site
You are lucky! Ours is a nightmare atm. It is really deep in places (well, all over actually) and we are on a yard with about 40 other horses. It actually needs watering, and then rolling, but it is just harrowed instead. My friends vet says it is a perfectly good surface if a little deep but will not cause any soundness problems so i feel confident riding in it, although I am a little concerned about jumping in it.

Gingerbear

Visit site
Hi If I were you I would just check that the membrane has not been interfered with by the harrow. If it has bigger spikes then it could have caught the membrane if the arena was not deep when laid. I have heard of this happening before. You can clear the surface away and inspect the bumps, in fact thinking about it I would do this anyway in case it gets worse.