Unexpected foal with known sire but no covering certificate?

Trailblazer

New User
Visit site
I have had my mare about 7 months, bought from breeder. Covered last year and scanned not in foal.
It turns out she did cover and is in foal. Sire belongs to breeder .
How do I register it with breeding of sire without a covering certificate? Thanks

Trailblazer

New User
Visit site
Ah ok. The owner is gutted as tried to get her in foal for 2 years. Not sure how obliging she will be as she wants to buy the foal back but I’m not selling it!
Any other way?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would be discussing the certificate before discussing the foal's future. You could make a fuss about being mis-sold the mare, so actually you might find that the breeder is rather more obliging than you anticipate.

honetpot

Visit site
If she was scanned not in foal, the breeder sold her on the information they had. If its breed papers add value, it worth paying for a certificate.

Trailblazer

New User
Visit site
Yes that is true.
In reality neither of us has got what we actually wanted. She wanted a foal but I wanted the mare to event.
I’m not upset as I know it was a genuine mistake and have very much accepted having a foal despite never having any plans to breed.
I view it as an experience I would never have had and a blessing.
I vowed my mare will be with me for her lifetime and this extends to the foal.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Yes that is true.
In reality neither of us has got what we actually wanted. She wanted a foal but I wanted the mare to event.
I’m not upset as I know it was a genuine mistake and have very much accepted having a foal despite never having any plans to breed.
I view it as an experience I would never have had and a blessing.
I vowed my mare will be with me for her lifetime and this extends to the foal.

I appreciate that but it does give you some bargaining power. Are you set up for foaling or will you incur extra expense on top of the unexpected vet bills?

Trailblazer

New User
Visit site
No we are not specifically set up for foaling and on a livery yard , although foals have been born and raised there without incident. I have incurred vets bills to establish she was indeed in foal, extra supplements and feed/ hay.
I have plenty of experienced support and will incur further vets bills for new birth check and any issues during / after foaling potentially. Not a huge issue financially but also I’ve lost a years riding .
I’m not bothered too much as I know we can get back to it but my mare will start competing Aged 12.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
No we are not specifically set up for foaling and on a livery yard , although foals have been born and raised there without incident. I have incurred vets bills to establish she was indeed in foal, extra supplements and feed/ hay.
I have plenty of experienced support and will incur further vets bills for new birth check and any issues during / after foaling potentially. Not a huge issue financially but also I’ve lost a years riding .
I’m not bothered too much as I know we can get back to it but my mare will start competing Aged 12.

But it all gives you bargaining power. If she refuses you a covering certificate, tell her you will take her to small claims court to get your vet bills back, along with any other incidental expenses. Or perhaps more diplomatically, suggest that she furnishes you with the covering certificate to make up for the vet bills etc.

Trailblazer

New User
Visit site
I hope it doesn’t come to that as my long term plan if all is well is to hopefully show at HOYS with it as a youngster and then put with a professional yard to train and event to hopefully promote her stallion . My hope is to get it eventing at CCI **** if it has enough potential. I would have her name as breeder and mine as the owner.

cundlegreen

Visit site
I hope it doesn’t come to that as my long term plan if all is well is to hopefully show at HOYS with it as a youngster and then put with a professional yard to train and event to hopefully promote her stallion . My hope is to get it eventing at CCI **** if it has enough potential. I would have her name as breeder and mine as the owner.
I'd be getting it on the ground before making sweeping plans.....

Trailblazer

New User
Visit site
'd be getting it on the ground before making sweeping plans.....
Yes I understand lots can go wrong and there are many bridges to cross before it gets to future plans.
However I would say that given most horse breeders breed for a specific purpose with an end goal in mind , thinking about the future is sensible ! There are too many horses who get passed on without the correct training and groundwork to succeed, so thinking ahead is not presumptuous but more cautious in order to do what is best for it long term.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Hmm, most breed societies require covering books in at the end of the year.
Speak to the breeder, you need her on side if you want the pedigree on registration, as if all fails then you'll just have to register foal with any generic passport agency before end of this year.
Breeder (you dont mention any specific breed) needs to talk to breed society, check on their process for this. Better now than later on.
Likely they (breed society) will then require foal to be blood typed, to prove that it is genuinely of the parentage suggested. I hope the sire is fully registered and blood typed up?

I had a bogoff last year, sent mare and foal back to breeder at her expense as soon as foal could travel. I retained ownership of mare, she got the filly. She had to jump hoops to get registration done, inc genetics too. Wasnt my problem tho :)

sport horse

Visit site
Except she is 'not' the breeder, you are. The breeder is the person who owned the mare when it foaled not the person who put the mare in foal. However that could be a good bargaining point in getting the foal its correct papers. If the previous owner will not give you papers is her stallion DNA tested and could you prove the parentage of any foal with DNA tests? You would have to check this with whatever breed society you choose to use. They do all differ so it is worth shopping around.