Unhandled 3 year old. Tips? What would you be doing?

Patterdale

Visit site
I've just taken delivery of hopefully my new horse of a lifetime! Hes very smart, 3 year old. Quite friendly but only caught for the first time four weeks ago so he's pretty feral. I can catch him and feed him but he's very twitchy if I stroke him.

I've had unhandled horses before but not for ages. Any tips gratefully received! What would be your plan of action? Unfortunately I don't have access to a stable at the moment but will have in winter.

Thank you!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It's great that he'll be caught, that's a big plus.

With the RSPCA foster ponies, I initially just bring them in twice a day for a feed and then turn them out again, so they get used to me in a low key way. I gradually build up the handling over a period of weeks. Be prepared to use a stuffed glove on a stick to touch legs at first if he's worried.

I learnt to NEVER pat them for the first few months, they couldn't cope with that.

IMHO it'll be easier when you've got access to a stable, but there's a lot you can do in the meantime. Don't tie up for a while, keep hold of a loose lead rope while you handle him.

Where are the pics?!!

fidleyspromise

Visit site
I second recommend getting Sarah Westons book.
I started with catching and scratching (I got mine in May so the winter coat was coming out and she was super itchy). She loved this and it got her used to hands on her neck/body. I had 2 weeks to get her leading as she was in quarantine and then going into a field with my other mare.
I probably took everything too slow but the first few months were spent getting her used to grooming, leading and numnahs/rugs etc on her and getting her used to being tied up using a long lead rope, putting it through the ring and holding the end of it.
I also took her for walks down our driveway so we would stand at the end of driveway and watch cars going past.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I'm jealous! This would be my idea of heaven.
There is nothing better than gaining a horses trust.
If we have anything un-handled at work it's kept inside for a while and we do little and often when the yards quiet.
Being able to catch is a major plus point already though.
Any photos?

Louby

Visit site
I bought something quite similar in April. She had had her feet done though and was halter broken. 2nd the dont pat, she didnt cope well with that! The lady I bought her off did put a rug on her before I bought her, so although nervy, she did accept that and was getting really good until she had her first jab! Tbh it never crossed my mind that she would react like she did and she only had her jab so soon after getting her as she got a nasty overreach in the field and I wanted her covered for tetanus. Poor girl was petrified being slapped hard on the bum! It did take me a while to get a rug back on her without her reacting, as in weeks! Looking back its really hard to believe how far she has come on, I think I forget how nervy she was when she came. She comes in daily for a feed, brush, feet picked out and generally mawled :) She is so sweet and I feel we have a proper bond forming. Good Luck with your boy, it is soooo rewarding

Meant to say shes 3 too, we have so far learnt to lead in walk and trot, a tiny lunge, shes a pro at that lol and a walk around the local housing estate. She has had a bridle on, hated water with a passion but has got so much better with that.

Last edited:

blitznbobs

Visit site
I did similar - bought a horse I'd never afford as a 6 year old as a 3 year old... I brought her in 2 x a day and shut her in a stable for 10 mins with a feed, then chucked her out a gain, she was v easy to catch tho... once that was easy (about 2 weeks) I started to tie her up and give her a little brush ( just a few strokes then extending this when she settled) I als took opportunities when she was calm to run my hands down her legs, rewarding calm behaviour every time... she's a confident soul so with in a month we were grooming properly and picking feet out and the farrier had been... my advice - leave a leather head collar on all the time at first ...

windand rain

Visit site
my baby pony loves you to scratch under her chin as she is changing teeth I have yet to find one that doesnt like it it also means you can work slowly up the head and scratch behind the ears etc it makes it a lot easier to put on a head collar and moving smoothly and calmly helps although at the show the other day I forgot who I was brushing and stuck the brush on her bum while I sorted her tail she didnt seem to mind at all but I did gently remove it before she freaked out. I do think if you just do what you need to and dont expect trouble you rarely get it. the thing is if you think they will react to something they will think there is something to fear if you are matter of fact and are kind and fair then mostly horses are happy to cooperate