Unhorsey other halfs!

Lonesome_Dove

Visit site
What's the worst horsey thing you've managed to get your other half to do? Yesterday I managed to get my boyfriend to help me wash my old horse's behind! It wasn't pleasant! Today, I left him the mucking out (after he met me at 6am with a cup of tea down the field!). Anyone else managed to get their OH to do anything worse than a bum-wash (horsey!!)?!

metalmare

Visit site
I managed to get my OH to ride bareback on my old horse who was always as good as gold - and she bucked!! And I am dragging him to see the Spanish Riding School this month and he doesn't like horses OR classical music! And he helped tame my feral little foal and for some reason my old horse went completely wappy on him once and tried to escape and rear up at him!

happyhack

Visit site
Poo-Picking-with a flexi bucket and rubber gloves whilst i schooled!!!!
grin.gif

Lill

Visit site
Nothing he has a bit of a horse phobia! Although i was very impressed with him this weekend he came with me Sat while i mucked out and brought them in and Sun he came with me when i turned them out and we brought his dog so we took him (the dog) for a walk round the fields and then went to Duckhurst for tea and food and to watch a bit of jumping, first time he's ever come to the stables with me, thought i'd be nice and not ask him to do anything!
grin.gif

Nic

Visit site
Muck out all 3, accompany me outside at various stupid times because "I heard a noise"!

And get up at stupid o'clock to come wach me competing.

The above also counts for my poor Daddy + tarting my stables up on a regular basis.

They are both Saints!
grin.gif

Kelly1982

Visit site
My OH does all my jobs while i ride and he knows how to put rugs on.

He doesn't like doing it but says if he does it we can get home quicker.

He is allergic to horses though so he wont touch them unless he has to which is fair enough

SSM

Visit site
I am so lucky -
trudged around YHL with me on Saturday (to curb my spending I think!!)
Puts whatever I need up in the stable.
Comes along to shows and helps out.
Complains that my banks in the stable are not as good as his!!!!!
Feeds the Donkey far too many treats - she loves him!
Watches my lessons.
Buys sacks of carrots without being asked and leaves them up on the yard with a note just for the Donkey
tongue.gif

Poo picks

As I said I am so lucky

filly190

Visit site
My poor husband is really terrified and I asked him to hold my elderly mare to have her teeth done. She is normally an angle, however she reared up and broke his finger.

Another time I was ill and he decided to surprise me and bring them in from the field and he was'nt expecting them all to barge at the gate, he got flattened, the horses ran in from the paddock into our garden and trashed the garden.

Another time hubby was sat in the hot tub with me, luckily we had bathing suits on!! Two horses suddenly trotted by, they had escaped their paddock by barging the gate off its hinges whilst having a scrap.

We had to run out onto our road in next to nothing, dripping wet trying to stop traffic and herd them in.

Hubby was trying to cover me up because by then half the village seemed to appear. We got them in our garden where they would not be caught for the next hour, it was far too exciting and again the garden got trashed.

Had a mini sheltland as a guest for a few months who we just let roam the garden, she used to charge my husband and turn round and boot him. If he sat and eat any food outside she would pinch his dinner by being a thug. One day she chased him right inside the house.

Hubby loves horses but keeps a careful distance, he's always there if I need any help and because of the fireworks, he has been up checking the horses every few hours.

Pasha

Visit site
In September we had a mahosive thunderstorm and my boy was out in the field for the night (they were still on 24hr turnout)... I woke my boyf up at midnight and announced we'd have to get Pasha in, so he drove me to the yard in the pouring rain and lightening then trudged over the field with me (without waterproofs) - bless him! We didn't even have a tourch! Needless to say Pasha was very grateful and hasn't bitten him (hard) since x

RunToEarth

Visit site
My ex agreed to ride my laid back old mare last year. She is safe as pie but has a tendancy to throw her head in the air, she just does it, its her. Poor mite was so scared when she did it he hopped off of the wrong side whilst forgetting to take foot out of stirrup. It went downhill from then on- hence the "ex"
grin.gif

sorona

Visit site
Built me a mobile field shelter, mobile stable and tack room from scratch, installed water and taps to the whole field. Help me clip when i get too bored to finish off the fiddly bits. Tame a crazy, wild foal. Poo pick when i am schooling the boys, mend fences, etc! For someone who is unhorsey, the youngsters love him and he seems to have the knack too; it is a little annoying that he is sometimes better than me with them. He comes to loads of horse shows and hates it, especially if they go on and on, like they often do but he will groom, tack up and untack and load horses without being asked; prob just to hurry the whole process up while I am chatting though, lol!

Claireg9

Visit site
Know that feeling all to well SammyJ!
My Other half has come down to the yard around 3 times in 3 years, moans the whole time, either sits in the car or tells me it smells and that i said i was only bringing them in not doing stuff with rugs and feet!
He moans if i go to a competition let alone try and get him to come as well!
I did get him to fix a leak on the living roof of my trailer though, but he doesnt mind manual things like that... not really horsey if you know what i ean, still moaned it smelled of horse though!
I wish i could get him to like it a bit more!
Think he'd come down there if i had them at my own place again as he used to pop down from work and fill up water in field but i just dont have a menage or anything, so maybe when i win the lottery... she dreams!

cosmo_sam

www.cosmohorse.com
Ha! My OH has coped with all aspects of conversion to the world of horse very well.

His only BIG challenge?

Managing to bring himself to wear breeches!!! :
grin.gif
grin.gif
the first time he put them on and walked onto the yard, he was quaking with fear!
laugh.gif

As a matter of interest, here is his version of how it was when he first got into riding
smile.gif
It was written 3 years ago now
smile.gif

http://www.cosmopolitanhorse.com/modules...r=0&thold=0

Weezy

Visit site
LOL Sarah I was going to write that!!!!!

Mine has helped me out on the yard ONCE - he has come to ONE show (and he drove the trailer home and I just panicked the whole time as he had never done it before and I have been towing since I was 16!)

Bt he IS a star because he is very generous!

Chambon

www.picturetrail.com
I'm very lucky in that my OH is just as horsey as I am, although he's perhaps not quite as soft as I am! If I've got a problem with a horse either ridden or on the ground, he is always the one to sort them out in a gentle but firm manner.

He shares the workload, around the house as well as the yard, and does extra jobs like build stable doors etc. He is a diamond, and I'm very lucky indeed.

dwi

Visit site
MY OH wouldn't go near a horse only a year ago and he has now decided that he will be doing her morning and evening over winter because he thinks that it is too dangerous for me to drive there on my scooter.

Kind but I wish he was a little less keen.

leanne123

Visit site
i got my OH to help me break a pony, lol using him as a crash dummy still makes me smile.
hes really good actually but not interested in them at all, been trying to get him to ride the big lad as his life insurance is up to date but he won't.

TrecPeter

www.alwena.com
Ho ho - I have to laugh at myself!
Now I know what OH means at long last. I was imagining all sorts of combinations, but never that one.
That what comes of being an ex-pat completely out of touch with recent English
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

We have the reverse problem of both being horsey.
Oh! you say, that must be great.... Well it's fine until you both want to do something... completely different, & then the battle starts.

PS. What about a glossary of all these odd abreviations you use?
smile.gif

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
I really enjoyed reading that.....it was so refreshing
laugh.gif

It would be lovely to hear how he is getting on now? Does he still ride? Is he chasing Pippa Funnell and William Fox Pitt around the XC courses
grin.gif

My hubby is really allergic to horses so prefers not to get to close. He can find one of my horsey jackets or numnahs from a hundred yards
grin.gif

However he built me a lovely stable/shelter thingy in our barn. He made me a super name plate for the door of it too with Ellie's name on. He came home from Lidl with a fly rug. Next week he is taking me through to Nottingham to collect some rubber stable mats
laugh.gif
grin.gif
laugh.gif
grin.gif

So all in all I wouldn't swop him but I can still dream about us galloping off over the moors together on our neddies
grin.gif

cosmo_sam

www.cosmohorse.com
For those who missed my post, this is the article my hubby wrote 3 years ago that we're talking about (sorry to hijack a thread btw - Mike seems to have a habit of hijacking things!!)

http://www.cosmopolitanhorse.com/modules...r=0&thold=0

[ QUOTE ]
I really enjoyed reading that.....it was so refreshing
laugh.gif

It would be lovely to hear how he is getting on now? Does he still ride? Is he chasing Pippa Funnell and William Fox Pitt around the XC courses
grin.gif
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL
laugh.gif
Well he's had a bit of "journey"
laugh.gif
He began by getting the SJ bug and LOVED jumping Shellee - they were like kindred spirits as he wasn't scared of her speed and she in turn relaxed and went steady for him!
smile.gif

He even took her to her first ODE only 7 mths after he took up riding
smile.gif
She had never done a competitive XC round or ODE prior this, and neither had he. He came 9th out of 30 something, and if hadn't had a run out at the final fence he'd have won!!!!! SOD!
laugh.gif

Here are a few pics from it
smile.gif

1.jpg

2.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

Now I was fine with all of this, as I can take or leave jumping as was always able to say he was just mad not talented!!
laugh.gif

Lately though, he REALLY has the dressage bug!!! He couldn't care if he didn't jump again but loves flatwork!!!
crazy.gif
Now I can cope with him being better than me at jumping, but if he DARES get better than me on the flat....

divorce may well be on the cards!!!
grin.gif

Heidi1

Visit site
My OH is a star........
Helps me muck out.
Doesn't mind fetching the horses in when it's raining and blowing a gale.
Puts rug rack up, feed mangers in etc
Muck out while I am hunting
Looks after the lorry
Grooms for me at shows
Runs me around for feed
Takes me to show to watch
He is lovely...........oh and is happy to part with his money........