Universal bit with curb strap or without?

Jellymoon

Visit site
For hunting a pony that is too strong in his lozenge snaffle, but not too bad. I tried him in a lozenge Pelham last time out but it was a little bit too much. I wanted him more into the bridle, but not as much into the bridle as he is in his snaffle, iykwim!

Is it stronger with the curb strap, or without? He tends to lean downwards on me, gets quite heavy in the hand.

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
I would use a curb chain/strap with this bit otherwise you will lose a lot of the action of the curb rein. You will ride mainly on the top rein and use the curb one only when needed.

Bernster

Visit site
I used a leather curb strap but only one rein. Only for hunting and possibly wasn’t correct but only needed it for brakes.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I used a Universal for hacking my very strong Draft mare. Because I couldn't find a curb strap which was long enough to go across her very large square jaw, I used a small dog collar, when I realised that the brakes didn't work half so well without it. I always used 2 reins but rode mostly on the snaffle rein, only bringing the curb into play when necessary, which tbh, when she knew that the rein and curb strap were there. Hacking in a snaffle was a constant 'No, you don't', although she was fine schooling in the field in a snaffle.