University riding clubs

teapot

Visit site
Wasn't sure where to put this so shoved it in here
blush.gif

Basically, my uni doesn't have a RC, but my best mate is starting her course tomorrow and we had a good chat about how clubs are set up/various societies. And we had a sudden thought about why not set one up?

Obviously we'd go through the uni, the SU, the sports union etc and we've missed the cut off for BUSA for this year atleast. But even if we didnt compete for the first year/18months, would still be nice to have a club as it were.

So questions

a.) how much do guys all pay for training?

b.) how long is this for?

c.) subs fees/insurance/member of club fees?

And ANYTHING you can think of which is worth mentioning?

peapod

Visit site
I'm Secretary of our Uni riding club -

a) We each pay £15 at YRC for training - however, this IS also subsidised by the Athletic Union - so that's something to look into - you should get given some kind of grant to spend how you like - so that can go towards lessons/travel/merchandise etc etc.

b) We pay £15 every lesson.

c) Every member pays £10 initially to join the riding club, but they also, for insurance reasons, have to join the Athletic Union, at £15.

Other things - make sure you get LOTS of members on your committee. The positions in our committee are - it's just easier to break down all the jobs to various people.

President, Secretary, Treasurer, Merchandise Rep, A Team Captain, B Team Captain, Lessons Reps, Social Secretary, Webmaster, Hacking Rep, PoloX/X country/Horseball rep...erm...think thats it!!

Our club is very big, but I know of other committees that run their clubs between the first three committee members.

The best hting to do I would think would be to email your Athletic Union President, and your SU President - they will tell you what you need to do to set everything up.

Hope this helps!!

Laura
smile.gif

hayliana

Visit site
hhmmm, not sure i should be revealing our secrets but...

membership is £35 a year, plus £20 AU membership (one off fee) that covers insurance.

being a member provides subsidies on ALL activities

lessons and training are £15, and if you're in the team you have to train once a week

we also provide hacking, polo, discount at tack shops, and all kinds of events eg olympia, demos, badders etc

we really do have quite a professional set up, and have been able to invest the money back into the club. we have an annoyingly good A-team, national champions!!! as well as that the socials are madness, but really does make everyone feel included.

any other questions feel free to ask!

Bossanova

Visit site
I'm also a RC secretary and team captain so get lots of lovely organising duties!!

Fee to join is £20/year

Training depends on your standard but beginners go locally for £15-£20 and the teams train at Talland which is considerably more!! The AU pay back our petrol money and if we are very lucky, contribute towards team training.

If you can, get some sponsorship as this helps big time- we hold weekly meeting in a pub and they provide us with drinks discounts and a small amount of cheap food!!

ihatework

Visit site
Okay so this was 6/7 years ago so things may have changed and I am trying to remember off the top of my head too.

Firstly the club was quite successful and therefor the AU sponsored it quite heavily.

One off joining fee of £20 for AU
Annual club membership of £85

Included in the £85 was a guarenteed 8 lessons, transport to the stables, guarenteed place on at least a friendly team once a year.
If you were selected for the A team then additional training on better horses was provided as well as transport to competition venues.

But on the whole if you wanted to you could normally ride more than 8 lessons with no extra charge, people cancelling last minute etc.

CaroG21

Visit site
I'm one of the lessons conveners for my uni riding club. Membership is £15 a year. You also have to be a member of the uni gym for insurance purposes, which is £30 a year. Lessons are every week and cost £13 (normal price of lessons at the stables we go to is £17). Lessons are either novice or intermediate, with numbers normally limited to four or five in a group so everybody gets enough individual attention. Team members train separately. Also, this is probably obvious, but make sure have transport to get people to the stables - our uni provides minibuses but you still need to be able to find people to drive them every week.