unknown breeding

hannah87

Visit site
I am thinking of putting my mare in foal next year - for her first foal, however , we dont actually know what breed she is, most ppl say she is most likely a TB / welsh / ??? !!!! i really want to put her in foal as she is a talented jumper, no vices, gorgeous paces and great conformation plus we have had her for 7 years and she will never be sold. has any one been in a similar situation/ or know how we could find out or choose a stallion!

lucysnapshot

Visit site
my mare is of unkown breeding probably TB x native she is a 14.2hh JA pony who iv had for 6yrs and will never sell! i love her to bits and wanted a mini her to keep forver i chose catherston dance in the dark at www.glenwoodstud.co.uk as its near to me and i wanted something abit bigger than 14.2hh. dance in the dark is 15.3hh WB i saw alot of his offspring in the flesh which were gorgeous and my foal is gorgeous too! hes massive now and may make the 16hh mark
shocked.gif

My mare and her son charlie
scan0009-1.jpg

Daddy
dd_dress.jpg

burtie

Visit site
It really depends on what you mean by 'talented jumper' and what you want to do with the foal. If she has jumped affiliated with a good performance record it may be worth it as this will help sell the foal. If you are looking to keep for yourself then no reason why not.

hannah87

Visit site
She has affiliated SJ. I would prob start the foal myself and depending on my situation at the time hopefully keep it for myself , the mare determines size of foal is that correct? she is 14:2 h , if i put her with something around 16 h i should get a bigger foal?

Fahrenheit

www.ipcmedia.com
As burtie says, it really depends what you want to do with the foal, if you are breeding for yourself there is no reason why you shouldn't breed from your mare, just make sure you use a graded stallion that will compliment/improve her.

If you are breeding to sell the foal, for the foal to be worth anywhere in the region of the cost of breeding it, you really need a mare with breeding papers (desirable pedigree) and/or competition records. I only have one mare that I breed from that hasn't got breeding papers and she qualified second round foxhunters, so has proved to have talent in a chosen discipline, she has a waiting list for people wanted to buy her foals (she can't breed them quick enough! lol
shocked.gif
).

With chosing a stallion, you really need to decide what you want the foal for before you can start looking at stallions, how big you want it to make etc etc! As you mentioned she jumps, I would imagine you are looking at jumping stallions??

Fahrenheit

www.ipcmedia.com
At 14.2, if you cross to 16.2 you should get around 15.2, but remember first foals can sometimes be smaller than the average and there isn't a fast rule for height but the best guesstimate is the average height between the 2 parents, Ive had some extremes thou:
15h to 16.2 = 14.2! (first foal just never grew), her next foal by same stallion made 16.1! also had
16.3 to 16.1 = 17.2 and still growing
shocked.gif

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Well a lot of us do take the gamble, especially if we are looking to keep the offspring outselves.
This mare
scan0006a.jpg

Was covered by an ID
scan0007.jpg

And produced
scan0005a.jpg

I have just had a foal from this mare
Picture001.jpg

by (as a foal)
CDasafoal.jpg

Dimond.jpg

And they produced
Giz14jul079.jpg

I took even more of a gamble because my choice of stallion had nothing on the ground & in fact our colt is his 1st foal, though I believe there are 2 others now. You will just have to take more care on which stallion you choose.

hannah87

Visit site
yes, i would be looking at jumping stallions, and would hope to get a foal to make over 15hh so that i can compete it... eventually! wat would ppl reccommend for a maiden mare with regards to having her served? by hand or turned out with the stallion?