Unlikely Dressage Stars - I need names!

tobiano1984

Visit site
Hi everyone - I'm writing an article for a horsey/country magazine on unlikely dressage stars, and need a couple more case studies. At the moment I have a gypsy cob at elementary level and a Clydesdale competing at Advanced Medium/schooling at PSG level.

So can anyone suggest any others? I need to be able to get in touch with owners/riders in the next few days. No warmbloods, no TBs, no ISHs, I need UNLIKELY breeds! Horses that to look at in the field you wouldn't think capable of it. Cobs, natives, open to ideas....! They need to be competing currently, in the UK, and at affiliated elementary level and above, the higher the better.

Look forward to suggestions...x

ihatework

Visit site
Corstan Rogue Trader is a little Welsh pony, just come 3rd in Advanced Medium at Winter nationals.
They frequent the BD forum.

HBBambee

Visit site
Nicola Hawkins and the 13.2hh Welsh Section C Corstan Rogue Trader were 3rd at the BD nationals this year at AM.

khalswitz

Visit site
I know you've said no TB's... but I think Fran Turner (Princess Sparkle on here) with her ex-racehorse now competing Inter 1 is pretty impressive!!! (Albeit he's CALLED Prophet's Star ;) )

PaddyMonty

Visit site
My OH has a welsh D 14.1 chestnut mare. Purchased as a happy hack to regain confidence after being hit by a car whilst riding our TB. The little mare had 4 foals prior to purchase as a 10yo.
OH competed BD with her from prelim to AdvMed. Qualified for regionals at all levels except AdvMed.
Also did dressage to music Demo at your horse live
Gained 310 BD points. Now retired to hacking and occasional SJ.
I'm sure she would be happy to talk to you.
You can look up mares record on BD - Crumpwell Revelation.

Last edited:

tobiano1984

Visit site
I know you've said no TB's... but I think Fran Turner (Princess Sparkle on here) with her ex-racehorse now competing Inter 1 is pretty impressive!!! (Albeit he's CALLED Prophet's Star ;) )

Yes they are interesting particularly as they're barefoot too, I've messaged them on facebook (I think!) - Diamonds in the Rough Dressage.

tobiano1984

Visit site
Thanks everyone - they do need to be competing currently and in the UK. Corstan Rogue Trader looks great, if anyone has contact details please let me know! I've messaged her on FB but not sure if it'll get through.

ktj1891

Visit site
Hi my friend competes her 15hh cob at elementary has been doing very well, brought him on from just being a lead for race horses. Her name is emma dunkley on fb.

Lexi_

Visit site
If you've got a copy of this week's H&H, check out p 38. The Scotland roundup mentions a traditional cob competing at Medium and an Andalusian/Highland competing at Elementary.

ClobellsandBaubles

Visit site
Thanks everyone - they do need to be competing currently and in the UK. Corstan Rogue Trader looks great, if anyone has contact details please let me know! I've messaged her on FB but not sure if it'll get through.

Damn I was going to suggest some oldies, I think eurodressage did a series recently on unlikely dressagers with a connie, an orlov trotter and a clydie x all having competed at GP. There was also articles on a QH and an arab but there are in the US so none of the above really helps :S Whoops.
What about the wee coloured cob who was at nationals Tiger Tim?
Is there not some welsh D's on here? Millions dollars?

Last edited:

dianchi

Visit site
Comet on here had a rather good showing at sheepgate last weekend and was 4th in the novice champs and won a FSM on her lovely traditional coloured cob!

comet!

Visit site
Comet on here had a rather good showing at sheepgate last weekend and was 4th in the novice champs and won a FSM on her lovely traditional coloured cob!

Thank you dianchi 😊

Mine is just starting BD elementary. I've had him two years and he came from a riding school owner. It was only about this time last year that we finally managed to canter a 20m circle and stay inside the arena! Realistically we probably weren't a good match on paper as I bought him after 12 years of not riding.

He had some lovely comments from judges last weekend at Sheepgate including saying how he is correctly trained and a happy boy.

noname

Visit site
Wyken First Lady is a welsh section B or C competing advanced medium and placed at the nationals at every level. PM if you'd like contact details.

Spring pascal / is Cleveland bay

Mr President.

Carol parsons horses Walter & Giddy are shire horses. Giddy is still competing with a young rider but did do international GP.

Last edited: