Unpaid Livery

PurBee

Visit site
The transporter collected him from XXX but she was the only person there, no yard owner or other liveries. She said her name was X but she goes by the name X. She sent a bacs payment in the name of X

This personal private info is really yours to know and follow up on, not for the world to see.

This livery may be scamming you, but until the process is over and done with in a legally correct manner, the private details are not for public consumption and may affect your case publishing it before the case is sorted-out properly.

There’s ‘edit post’ function below your post if you choose to use it.

Visit site
I went down the abandonment route. I knew where the owners lived and had phone number. There was an ownership dispute between two people and neither wanted him back from loan. I sent them a copy of the note which they said was not worth the paper written on, it actually was. Took a copy in to the local police station, as this is advised, they didnt know what to do with it, but I had covered myself.
Horse subsequently reverted to the yard owner.

Stathama1

Visit site
How far away from that address are you?? If close could you just go and stick an invoice through the letterbox along with a note stating if not paid promptly you will start abandonment proceedings and/or small claims court proceedings.
It’s about 120 miles away - but that is not where she lives

Stathama1

Visit site
This personal private info is really yours to know and follow up on, not for the world to see.

This livery may be scamming you, but until the process is over and done with in a legally correct manner, the private details are not for public consumption and may affect your case publishing it before the case is sorted-out properly.

Yes you are right, I have just tried to edit but you apparently only his 60 mins to do so. I have reported it and asked for it to be removed.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Yes edit time depends how many posts you've made. Some of us get 24 hours, am sure admin will edit/remove :)

paddy555

Visit site

I must be the only one who finds this thread very strange. A YO takes in a stallion for full livery (is this a valuable breeding animal or a scrub pony no one has bothered to castrate) , without a passport, without owners name or address, no formal contract, cash payment and no SO set up and apparently no history of why someone would transport a horse 120 miles to her particular yard. Whilst I appreciate it is being edited the owner's name, bank account name and an address are posted in public view.

Either there is a lot we have not been told or I wonder why any YO who would know the risk of non payment and basically being landed with a horse would not take steps to protect themselves?

I am struggling as to why the owner does not live at the address given. I put it into 192.com and it came up with a DR, a man I presume was a partner and another occupant with the same christian name as the lady and the surname of the man, .

If this is genuine then my sincere apologies in advance to OP. If not then it is starting to not add up for me.

Stathama1

Visit site
Hello Green Bean, yes you are correct - I have had this account for only a couple of days. I joined this forum as I needed advice on a subject which I have never had to deal with before. I would imagine that people join this forum for this reason? Sorry if it seems odd and to have made people think that my predicament is in any way strange or fake? I will disable my account, but before I do, can I just thank the people that have helped me - this is invaluable. I now have avenues to go down so for that I am extremely grateful

Stathama1

Visit site
I must be the only one who finds this thread very strange. A YO takes in a stallion for full livery (is this a valuable breeding animal or a scrub pony no one has bothered to castrate) , without a passport, without owners name or address, no formal contract, cash payment and no SO set up and apparently no history of why someone would transport a horse 120 miles to her particular yard. Whilst I appreciate it is being edited the owner's name, bank account name and an address are posted in public view.

Either there is a lot we have not been told or I wonder why any YO who would know the risk of non payment and basically being landed with a horse would not take steps to protect themselves?

I am struggling as to why the owner does not live at the address given. I put it into 192.com and it came up with a DR, a man I presume was a partner and another occupant with the same christian name as the lady and the surname of the man, .

If this is genuine then my sincere apologies in advance to OP. If not then it is starting to not add up for me.

Unfortunately it is not our fault that the pony arrived without a passport, but he was already in our possession so right from the offset we have had to take responsibility for his welfare. The owner of the horse was supposedly attending our yard to sign contracts etc, but never arrived - not through lack of chasing her I might add. I was just asking for advice and hoping that someone could help me. I will disable my account as I do not wish to upset anyone, I was genuinely reaching out to others who may have found themselves in this unfortunate situation

HappyHorses:)

Visit site
Unfortunately it is not our fault that the pony arrived without a passport, but he was already in our possession so right from the offset we have had to take responsibility for his welfare. The owner of the horse was supposedly attending our yard to sign contracts etc, but never arrived - not through lack of chasing her I might add. I was just asking for advice and hoping that someone could help me. I will disable my account as I do not wish to upset anyone, I was genuinely reaching out to others who may have found themselves in this unfortunate situation

Please don’t disable your account. You have done nothing wrong in coming on here asking for advice or if anyone has experienced a similar situation, if I recall there have been a few!

I hope it’s a situation that can be resolved and I’m sorry you have been put in this situation in the first place.

Visit site
OP, did the transporter not have the passport with them when they delivered the horse? It can’t have been a very professional transporter if they’re willing to travel the horse without its passport!

Go down the abandonment route, you have no idea if the owner lives at that address, so to cover all areas, do the abandonment notice, send recorded delivery to that address, so that you have proof you tried to contact, post the abandonment notice on the gate and take it from there.

I think this is a lesson learnt for you, there are some real oddballs out there. I definitely wouldn’t have left it this long to act, so get it sorted and you can then sell the horse on/dispose of as you wish.

honetpot

Visit site
So my serial non payment hopper.
I thought I checked her out, she knew someone I knew, I checked her show results etc, the ponies names, she seemed to know what she was talking about. The story was that they were moving because of her husbands job, from one rent to another, so she needed to find the ponies a place before they moved. She paid the first month up front, for X amount of ponies, when she turned up there was more, but one was being sold, but didn't go. Oh, and I had a contract, with off course the then current address. I then had four months of her not paying and not caring for them problem, which I started trying to sort out as soon as there was a problem.
You have to have a pretty good bull**** detector. Oh, I came when you were not there, oh they are too fat, they do not need extra food, we are waiting for the right buyer, we are showing this weekend. Tip, to check if someone has been, cut off the water to the water trough, and see how long it takes them to notice it's empty or not filling. Tracking her new home, about the only part that was true, even though she was local was a task in its self, I knew I had a wrong un when she did not accept the signed for letter.
The advice from the bailiffs, who I just happened to be working with, was gold, and a friend who lets property and does her own court work. As soon as she saw the notices she knew I was serious, this was before the law changed, so now it would be easier. The BHS advice was useless, very nice man but had not a clue.
When they left, there was so much horse muck to clear, it took a week. I sometimes google her phone number, so I can track where she is from her ads, in case she moves back this way again.
The thing is with these people they do not sound like con artists, but they are, it's a business modal, and they are very good at it. There is someone that sells agricultural equipment, they were known in this area, but they move just a bit further away, just far enough to start again, and its only when someone makes a big enough stink, they move on.
I have had a couple of horse inadequates, I call them that because I think there is nothing malicious about them, I am sure they think I am the one that is bonkers, but I have enough animals of mine own to care for without caring for theirs. I have been on a livery yard with a serial troublemaker, and it's a totally different thing, it's more like a mental illness.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Stathama there is no need to disable your account. We all had to make a first post once and there are plenty of people here with vast amounts of knowledge who can help. It’s a very unusual set of circumstances you find yourself in and I wish you good luck in resolving the problem.

Agree 100%

paddy555

Visit site

Please don't disable your account. It doesn't matter it is a first post. I am not meaning to upset you. Did the owner not visit and check out your premises, the facilities you have to offer, discuss the pony's needs etc before the transporter "dumped" him on you?

I am glad you are taking responsibility for his needs. Hopefully anyone else will now learn the importance of dotting the "i's"and crossing every "t" when taking a horse. I hope you can work something out.

As well as abandonment notices if I was in this position I would check out the address given. It was from memory a cottage. Next to it is the farm by the same name. I would either get in touch with or preferably visit with your abandonment notice and speak to the owners of the farm. The cottage may be rented and the owners done a flit, they may live there or the farmer may give you some info especially if they were a "problem" as I suspect in view of your experiences they may well have been. That may not be strictly necessary but you may get info. on the background and it will give you some idea as to what is likely to happen, ie owner will ignore the notice, has moved to the other end of the country, you may get an address. I think there were about 5 properties on that road, all fairly pricey. I suspect you may get info from some of them.
If there is any comeback you can then demonstrate you have done absolutely everything you can.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Don't disable your account!! There is nothing weird about your posts apart from the behaviour of the owner! I once had to move my horses at very short notice - long story but legitimate move- but literally had to go that day. I rang round, found a place, moved them and sorted out all the paperwork and payments later. Life happens, things move fast and not everyone has everything totally sorted up front.

And yes lots of people join to ask a specific question. Some then stay around which is great x

exracehorse

Visit site
We had a serial non payer livery years back. She used to dump ponies at various yards and never paid. They were either taken by yard owner in lieu of payment or owner would suddenly send a transporter to collect and take away. Her initials were AB.

Stathama1

Visit site
Hi everyone. So I sent an abandonment notice to the mobile number of the owner (this is still all the contact details we have) and the 96 hours has passed. So, are we now within our rights to have an ID passport made for him and to get his chip registered to us (or indeed removed as it has no details attached to it - either owner nor vet) poor pony. We sent an additional form to our local police station and attached the notice to the yard gate - not that will have been seen by the said owner as she has never visited him anyway. If anyone has ever gone beyond serving the notice, please can you let me know what I should do next? Thank you for all your help btw :)

Stathama1

Visit site
AS far as I understand the law, the horse is yours now so I guess it depends on what you want to do next? Keep, sell, PTS are the main options. Though I guess loaning out, rescue centres etc could also be a possibility.

Sorry you have been put in this situation.
Hi, I definitely want to sell him to recoup some of the debt obviously - but also, he is a sweet little man and so incredibly pretty - he will be a super little horse for someone :)

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Hi, I definitely want to sell him to recoup some of the debt obviously - but also, he is a sweet little man and so incredibly pretty - he will be a super little horse for someone :)

What an awful situation you have been put in some people are just complete shits, I hope you manage to find him a lovely home:)

Renvers

Visit site

Glad you have the situation under your control, good luck in sorting out a good future for this horse.

It's crazy some of the things people think they can get away with!

Stathama1

Visit site
Hey everyone - she paid in full! The abandonment notice worked and she settled her bill. Now all I have to do is get her to answer her phone again and get her address for the contract, get the horses passport off her, and get her to set up a standing order...........what a result though? Thank you to the majority of people who commented on this thread with help and support, you have been invaluable with your advice. Happy days!!!

Cowpony

Visit site
Great result, but I fear that won't be the end of it. If this is the way she behaves she won't change and you'll have to chase her for everything, including future payments. I'd be giving her notice now, but if you don't want to do that I suggest writing some pretty firm terms (with deadlines and sanctions) into your contract.

Sorry to rain on your parade, and I'm glad you've got the money. I can see you are really happy to have got it, which you should be. But it shouldn't have been that hard, especially at the start, when people are normally on their best behaviour.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Hey everyone - she paid in full! The abandonment notice worked and she settled her bill. Now all I have to do is get her to answer her phone again and get her address for the contract, get the horses passport off her, and get her to set up a standing order...........what a result though? Thank you to the majority of people who commented on this thread with help and support, you have been invaluable with your advice. Happy days!!!

I am stunned that you would allow him to stay after that start. And you still don't have her address or a passport? I strongly recommend that you give a month's notice.