Unresponsive pony - what to do?

bex1984

Visit site
I posted about this in the TR the other day but didn't get many constructive replies so wondered if you guys in here might be able to help with my (embarrassingly small) competition issues.

I have a lovely 14hh pony who can be awesome and can be a nappy little swine. I took him xc schooling on sunday and he had a nappy day and wouldn't jump anything or do any more than a lazy trot without a mega argument. This sunday we are going to a 1ft 9 (see, I said it was small) express eventing competition and I suspect he may do the same thing in the XC section. Firm smacks with the whip weren't really working - and I don't like smacking him constantly.

Any advice for dealing with a stubborn, nappy pony and getting him from one end of the course to the other?! I'm thinking I should just make him walk over the jumps if I have to - not take no for an answer? He needs a rocket up his backside!!

blackhor2e

Visit site
Is there any chance you could get him out before your competition and practice with him following another horse? Sometimes this can help give them the idea that forwards is the best option :)

bex1984

Visit site
I won't get a chance unfortunately - he is much better following a friend. I only ride him once a week max because he's out on loan to a riding school. But I've taken him on lots of adventures this summer and he's been ok - this was just a seriously bad day and I didn't really know how to deal with it?