Unruly mane - ideas of how to tame???

jotesh

Visit site
My mare's mane sticks up like a toothbrush! No matter what I do I can't get it to lie on one side. I've tried the usual: plaiting, stretchy hood, leaving it to grow a bit but with no long term success.

Do any of you have any experiences? And what has worked?

Thanks Jo x

Shipley

Visit site
have you used quick braid its a showing product that if used everyday it can tame a mane to stay on one side? not used it for that I just use it old my plats together!

peanut

Visit site
I wonder if you could roll up the plaits with some sort of small weight inside each plait (like a £1 coin or curtain weight).

Just a thought
smile.gif

elizabethshaw

Visit site
this is quite time consuming but it does work....first thin and trim to required length and then band small sections of mane, one centimetre to half an inch width, depending on the volume of hair (the more hair, the more bands). When banding, make sure the band goes around 4 or 5 times so quite tight and then pull the banded hair firmly downwards and then seperate the band into 2 halves, one left and one right, and pull again in a downwards and lateral (left and right together) direction. You need to make sure the bands are lying nice and flat, and then do that all the way up the mane. You can leave the bands in for a few days, then take them out, and brush before re banding. The best way to remove the bands is with one of those 'quickunpick' things you get in a sewing shop, otherwise you'll damage the hair needlessly if you pull the bands out (and it's quite hard anyway). The banding method is actually used for western show horses in halter classes and some ridden classes, as they want a nice tidy flat outline.

girlmoose

Visit site
my horses mane stands up like a toothbrush too. Most horses manes you can just plait and leave and it lies down flat. But since I have had my current horse I have realised that this doesn't work for all horses.

I have actually given up with mine...i will plait him when I compete so it will only be in lessons and when i'm hacking that he will look like he has just been electrocuted!

madthing2spyda

www.saxonoak.co.uk
Girlmoose, sounds like our horses must be related
smile.gif
BUT I got sick to death of my boy's (I would have had plaits like golf balls) so I set to and started pulling it, just a little each day after riding, wet it over and put his 'Snuggy hood' on and he kept it on night and day and I am please to say that I only have one little area to finish tweeking. Take your time, do a little each day