Unsolicited advice! (rant warning)

Hornby

Visit site
Went along to local BD centre today to support the music classes that they have started to run, although our Novice level is "work in progress" at the moment.
blush.gif

I had simplified the floor plan so the music ran out before my movements at a couple of points
blush.gif
blush.gif
and he was heavy in the hand and not off the leg (although lovely in lessons and schooling all week
smirk.gif
). So although I was disappointed with how we had gone, I wasn't shocked to get 58%

As I was leaving with the test sheet, the writer (who I know to say hello to at shows) said "Shall I pass on what the judge said, as it will help you?". Foolishly, I said "yes", although I couldn't really say no, and she said, he was downhill (yes, at times), not active enough and the music was awful and didn't match the horse at all!
blush.gif
frown.gif
I said that I had it done professionally and I like it - she was astonished and said anyone could do better and it was just a case of counting the beats of the horse, and the music and finding selections and joining it all together...(yes, that's why I paid for it to be done!
tongue.gif
).

We then managed to disagree on every other horse we discussed too!
blush.gif

In the end I said, we will have to disagree and left it - fuming...!
frown.gif
Perhaps I am a bit over sensitive but I do have lessons and pay for advice!
blush.gif

Rant over
grin.gif

Anyone else get offered advice when they haven't asked for it?

Fiona

Visit site
Dressage is subjective at the best of times, but I suppose D to M is even more so.

Hope to hear you reporting in a couple of weeks that horse went really well and that a different judge really enjoyed it.

I did RC dressage last week, and little mare just wasn't going as well as she has done in lessons (feeling a bit tense in her back, and needing a check up). I got downhill and rushed comments all the way through the test, and was EVEN beaten by my OH (who hates dressage and had only brought his horse because the weather was so appalling he couldn't ride at home). Must admit this disillusioned me greatly (as it was a good judge) so I really know how you feel.

Best of luck next time.

Fiona

carthorse

s150.photobucket.com
Please don't get disheartened.
We love our music and have always had great marks including getting to the BD champs for the past two years and coming 2nd at the BRC champs this year .....but ....last year at the riding club qualifier the judge hated the music and gave us a rubbish mark and said we went over the time!!!!!!!!!
Good luck next time

Hornby

Visit site
Thanks for the supportive comments everyone
smile.gif
I will try to ignore the comments and work on my own horse - in an odd way it's nice to hear that others have rubbish days too!
tongue.gif

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
Its only one persons opinion!!, but look at your score sheet and get your instructor to watch and give CC as to the matching horse and movement! The next judge you come under will probably love it! Find out who is judging and avoid this judge for a few tests (all judges have their types that they like and dislike). Keep going and put it behind you .... upwards and onwards!

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
Try not to take it to heart. For what it is worth I have always been taught by judges I have written for that whatever is discussed in the judges box must stay there and is not to be taken any further. With that in mind the person in question had no business passing on the judges thoughts and comments.

_jetset_

Visit site
I would have loved to have attended... definitely will be going to the next one!

So next time you will have me there to fight your corner too
grin.gif

Oh, and I will probably have killed the judge off with my Elementary freestyle
wink.gif
My music is not, ermm, quite BD darling!!!

Hornby

Visit site
Thanks to all - I had forgotten about the privacy of the judges comments (I am sure judges will agree
smile.gif
) and I will certainly run in the opposite direction next time I see her. More DTM in December, Jetset, if you are brave!
tongue.gif