unsure about this

JessPickle

Visit site
Someone at our yard bought a horse without much knowledge the horse is now on DIY and is ridden all most every day lots of 2 hour hacks jumping 1/2 times a week and lunging once a week, he is definetly not fat but they keep putting him on limited grass (he isnt laminetic or prone to it) he is a connemara, he is only fed chaff and carrots which i really dont think is enough for what he is doing, as he seems to get tired very quickly am I being silly?

Madam_max

Visit site
How does he look? He should be a relative good doer being a connie. I know that's not always the case. If he looks ok and is coping with the work, then I wouldn't say it's a problem. I can usually work my TB x TD this time of year fairly hard on not much more that chaff.

JessPickle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
How does he look? He should be a relative good doer being a connie. I know that's not always the case. If he looks ok and is coping with the work, then I wouldn't say it's a problem. I can usually work my TB x TD this time of year fairly hard on not much more that chaff.

[/ QUOTE ]

he looks fine he just seens to get really tired very quickly and I just wanted to check with all you knowladgable people

TGM

Visit site
My mare is a Connemara cross and a very good doer. At this time of the year she does well on limited grazing, Alfa A chaff and a vit/min supplement. If the pony is maintaining his weight then there shouldn't be a problem, however if starts to lose condition then they will need to give extra food.

As for seeming tired, a lot of good doers are quite lazy (which is why they maintain their weight as they don't like expending energy unnecessarily!). However, you could always suggest they add a vitamin/mineral supplement to the feed just to make sure the pony is getting everything it needs.

cobweb

Visit site
Connemaras are generally good doers, my current one is out at grass for most of the day and ridden 3-4 times a week. He is fed 3/4 scoop of Happy Hoof twice a day, but we probably put him on Calm & Condition, chaff and sugar beet during the winter when we hope to do a bit more with him, (he's 5).

Obviously each pony is different and it is good that you're keeping an eye on your friends pony, but it is a common mistake to feed M&M's too much 'energy' type feeds. They are hardy ponies, bred to live and work in quite remote areas, and in some cases really do live off fresh air.

Kelly1982

Visit site
My horse is a 16.3 Han x TB and all she gets in a scoop of chaff and a small scoop of mix per day.

She doesn't need anymore than that at the mo as we still have really good grazing so dont want her putting on too much weight but if she started lacking energy then i think i would look into either giving her vit & mins or maybe changing her feed as i wouldn't want to up her feed incase her weight increased. If she started lacking condition or i upped her work then i would up her feed then.

My TB gets ridden for about 30mins 4 times a week (sometimes more) and she gets nothing as do most of the other horses on the yard!!