Unusual Injury - Any experiences?

HayleyUK

Visit site
Also posted this in vet :)

My new project pony - who was supposed to take up the reins and give my oldie a bit of a quieter life has managed to spectacularly injure herself!

To cut a long story short she was lame on her left fore for a week or so, and we thought it was mud fever - treated and resolved that but still lame.

Physio & Vet both came for a look - both concerned about how she was moving and suspected back & leg issue but not sure which was primary. Vet referred to Leahurst for possible gamma scan.

A week at Leahurst - lameness workup, gamma scan, xrays on back and variety of legs and an ultrasound scan later and a diagnosis was made!

DDFT injury which is behind the knee on the left fore - with secondary back issues (slight kissing spines) as a result of the leg injury. Vets puzzled as its quite a rare/unusual injury - no idea how shes done it so marked it up to high jinks in the field from a fizzy 5year old.

8 weeks box rest ( we are finishing our 4th week!)- prognosis isn't clear as yet, vets have warned me that due to site of injury it may not heal and stand up to any level of work.

We go back for a scan on 8th July and hopefully will look at what we might be able to do to bring her back into work/get her some turn out.

Has anyone else experienced an injury like this - I know DDFT injuries are common, but wondered about the site as vets can't really tell me much other than its unusual and they simply don't know!

Visit site
It depends upon how it heals. We had a mare that did a 60% hole in the ddft behind the knee and carried on her racing career after suitable time off.

Visit site
3months in a box, 3 months walking exercise, 3 months turnout then back into work. Steady away and building it up. This mare filled in with 30% tendon fibre and 30% scar tissue. Scar tissue doesn't stretch so you do need to be careful and take everything steady to correctly to make the scar tissue as flexible as possible without tearing it. It's a long road but it can be done. Vets are always doom and gloom. Just take it one day at a time.

star

Visit site
Mine damaged his DDFT in the field last year - about halfway up his hind cannon bone. He had 9wks box rest then 3mths ridden walking. He didn't jump again until 8mths post injury. That was jan. He evented again March and won. No signs of any recurrence ofinjury so far. Year to the day ttoday.

HayleyUK

Visit site

Sounds a bit more positive then! She's coping with the box rest quite well but does 'hop'/mini rear when she sees her neighbour which worries me!