Up and down like a yo-yo - Cushings

Montyforever

Visit site
So Mysti has been on prascend for nearly 6 weeks now.
At first we had the depressed/lack of energy and a bit off her food but she soon picked up. She over the last couple of weeks seems to be going downhill again though. Lacking energy, very quiet and I've had to put her on haylage (this not helping really!) as she just wont touch her hay.

Spoke to vet about halving the dose to a quarter of a tablet (already on half) and she's said to try it for a few days but its unlikely to make a huge difference given she seemed to be settling with the dose and that further investigation might be needed.
Blood tests for acth levels are next week so should help give a clearer picture at least.

Has anyone else found this happening with their horses? She's only 10, acth levels were 71.6 so not horrifically high she's a good weight and looks perfectly healthy just isn't herself at all.

Feeling a bit like a downward spiral at the moment!

Micky

Visit site
We are in the seasonal rise at the moment, so you may find a quarter of a tablet might help. Please take a look at the laminitis site for more info and a link to a Facebook page where Andrea & co can answer any queries you have. Diet must be correct too and that can be found also on this site..:)

_HP_

Visit site
You may need to UP the dose of prescend ...we are in the seasonal rise and so she may need a little extra just now.

Montyforever

Visit site
Make sure that your horse has been wormed for emerging encysted small red worm. These are not detected in a worm count only if bloods are taken.

She was wormed about two weeks ago so should be all good :)

You may need to UP the dose of prescend ...we are in the seasonal rise and so she may need a little extra just now.

These are my thoughts too.

Did wonder about this, but wasn't sure. Guess the blood results will show if she needs more :)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Make sure that your horse has been wormed for emerging encysted small red worm. These are not detected in a worm count only if bloods are taken.

I don't understand this comment in this context at all?

OP I would also be looking at possibly increasing not decreasing the dose, but probably best to wait to get her levels back.

EmmaB

Visit site
My horses levels were really high but its gradually coming down, he is looking and feeling great now but it took a while for him to settle re food. I thought he had settled because he started eating properly again but then had another patch where he was really fussy again, its been about 3 months since he first started the prascend and he is now eating normally again!

Northern Hare

Visit site
This is exactly what we went through with my horse - he went through an real downer, followed by a bit better, then down again. It took around 3 months in total but he hasn't looked back since and is so much better than before he started the Prascend. I was so close to speaking to the vet about taking him off the Prascend because he wasn't eating, was depressed and fading away in front of my eyes! Stick with it with support from your vet ref increasing the dose etc.

Btw, ref feeds, we went through loads of different feeds (straights and compounds), in the end we found he would eat Topspec Comprehensive Balancer their Cool Conditioning Cubes with Molasses free Alfa-A in small amounts so he had 3 feeds a day and this made all the difference. It's just a case of trying different feeds to find one that he likes and will eat.