up or down

marmite

Visit site
the catch on the stirrup bars do you have them up so the stirrup leather cant slip out easily or down so if you fall the stirrup will come away easily.

Random i know we were talking about it while i was riding the new lad today i always have mine down after a fall i had and i got dragged i just think its safer down.

marmite

Visit site
I thought down the only reason the convo came about is because the new lad decided he wanted to try get back to jacob and had a rearing fit in the middle of the yard.
And one of new liveries was like 'do you keep your stirrup catch up or down as you can loose a stirrup and fall off'
I was like well no because even though you go forwards when they rear your hardly standing up in them and putting pressure on them to make them come loose.

Was just wondering in general as ive never lost a stirrup and i always have the catch down.

Tempi

Visit site
when my mare reared and went over backwards both my stirrups came off. it was total chaos as i was on a hunting field in front of a jump!! scrabbling around in the mud looking for leathers whilst people are tearing past you over a jump and trying to hang onto (and eventually get back onto) a nutty horse isnt fun!!!!!!!!!!

vic07

Visit site
lost a stirrup in a psg once. Had to ride a large proportion of test with 1 stirrup. Have since with that saddle kept it up but generally it should be down for safety reasons!

marmite

Visit site
i think i lost a stirrup once xc schooling the horse fell hard after a jump but i just got someone to put it back on,i couldnt do a test with no stirrups you should all see me trying to do trot with no stirrups funny as hell i bounce about 4 feet out of the saddle.

Hmm maybe i should work on it more lol
grin.gif