Update after a long time away.

micramadam

Visit site
It's been over a year since I last posted here and I thought it was about time for a quick update for those who know and remember me.

After the awful time we had with Ruby and Four we are now content and happy with the 5 retrobates we have at the minute.

Norman, our Fjord and my daughter's 1st pony is now 25 years old and still going strong. He is semi-retired but still teaching 2 little girls the right buttons to push. Our vet is delighted with his condition for his age and to be quite honest, this year he looks better than he has for a couple of years. That may be due to the fact that I decided to move to a much better yard! They now get 24/7 turnout throughout the summer.

Accenta, 8 year old Frederiksborger mare is the sweetest mare you could wish to meet and almost bombproof. Dismounting still continues to be traumatic for her (and me) and is work in progress but we have professionals helping us with this and it is getting better. Planning on breeding her next year so currently researching which Frederiksborger stallion will best suit her. Foal will be for sale. Doing my part to keep this rare breed alive. Accenta is 1 of only 47 pure breds in the Netherlands and 1 of only a handful of palomino Frederiksborger mares worldwide. She is my special mare and one I never thought I could love this much after losing my beautiful Ruby.

Breitlingh, 12 year old KWPN Flemmigh mare, was supposed to be a project horse to bring on and then sell on one Four was up and running. Unfortunately things didn't turn out the way we expected. Four died (long very sad story which a lot of you were shocked by), and Breitlingh turned out to be too quirky to sell on. Fantastic character but not when ridden. We have perserverd with her for the last 6 years and she is much much better than she was. We have recently added Agnus Castus to her diet which seems to be the miracle we were looking for. Why didn't we think of this sooner! She has her 1st trip out and about on 6th July and if all goes well then, then she will be re-starting her dressage career.

Elena, 9 year old KWPN Jazz mare, was bought a few months after Four died. Very green and caused my daughter a lot of heartache and a broken wrist for the first 18 months. She has a real Jackell (sp!) and Hyde character. Very sweet one minute and then a real bitch the next. She is however, extremely intelligent and very easy to teach as she grasp the idea of what is wanted within 1 or 2 tries. She has flown through the dressage levels and currently at advanced medium. Daughter is taking it easy with her at the minute with training for the next level as she went through the others so fast. We are keeping our fingers crossed that our bad luck is over as this is also a potential Grand Prix horse.

Last, but not least, little Kareltje our 10 year old mini Shetland gelding. He originally belonged to my daughter's instructress but she gave him to us as a companion for Four and he is now ours and wormed his little mischievious way into our hearts. He is currently on loan as a companion for another pony in the local area and having the time of his life.

Me, still loving life repairing rugs and everything else that everybody keeps bringing my way. Got a good customer base now and (so I've heard) a very good reputation.

My daughter has retired as an International Show groom but still works with horses. She hasn't lost her passion even after breaking her back in 3 places last September after a fall. She is currently working at a place where she will eventually be bringing out the young horses in competitions and she is back living with mam and dad! Not sure if that is a good thing though!

Having troouble uploading the photos of the herd but will keep trying.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Sounds like life has settled nicely and you sound very contented with your lot. :)

Lovely update. Looking forward to the pics though! ;)

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I'm another one who can't wait to see pics. Especially of the Fredriksborger - I'm so interested to see her, she sounds amazing.

It is lovely to read your update, I felt so much for you through the terrible time you and your daughter had. It sounds like there are exciting times ahead, and I wish you both all the best.

McFluff

Visit site
What a lovely update, so good to hear things have got better.

Another who’d love to see a pic of your rare palomino :)