Update - Fore limb lameness

mrsbloggett

Visit site
Oh B***er - reason for lameness now apparent! No development of an abscess after three days poulticing, so vet visits again with mobile x-ray machine to take some images. Vet calls with results, laminitic changes with the movement of the pedal bone! He's hopeful that corrective farriery will help return the pony to soundness. I can't believe my bad luck, she was diognosed with bone spavins in her hocks a year ago.

Has any one got some GOOD experiences / outcomes with pedal bone movement they can share with me? Please no bad news stories, I've heard enough of them!

vicster

Visit site
I had the same kinda problem as you no abcess in the end after digging away at the hoof, then had the scans and x-rays that showed indication of problems with the check ligament which is linked with laminitis, was told to rest him for another week then went lame again but this was laminitis but he has made a full recovery now and is going really well, it does take time unfortunately but my friend had a horse that has the same as yours and she has pulled through it and has never had it back again and still does all the things she used to do. I am sure it will be fine try not to worry GOOD LUCK
smile.gif

sally2008

Visit site
You poor thing, such a rotten thing to happen.
frown.gif
If it helps I recently read a very interesting study about shoeing laminitics, containing LOTS of useful info, both on type of shoeing used and the cost comparisons. I believe that all the cases studied were returned to pre-disease soundness or better. If you would like a copy please do PM me.

TGM

Visit site
You don't say how much pedal bone rotation there is, but I must say that the majority of horses I have known with this condition have been returned to full soundess with the help of corrective shoeing. The only exceptions are usually horses with some underlying condition, such as Cushings, which means the laminitis keeps recurring. Hopefully that isn't the case with your pony and she be able to return to an active life.

monstermunch

Visit site
I have heard many good things about horses returning to full work and healthy lives with this condition so keep smiling.Hopefully it will all work out.