UPDATE Old Horse

Fools Motto

Visit site
For quite a while now things have been very 'stuck' on his condition. His hind leg is still filled (but not painful) and in my opinion he is still depressed/sad/had enough. My family member has kept him in the stable with daily 'runs' into the little yard for weeks now. He has only had his droppings removed, sometimes not even daily. I do my best to clean him out, but with the way things are I'm worried of doing too much so family member can't see what is happening, and this I don't want to happen. I often find myself giving him water and a filled hay net though, and leaving a note to say I've done so. I often get a message back 'was just going to do that', but we all know that is unlikely. Generally the horse and his stable stinks, deep litter the filthy way. - have I mentioned this is for his 'warmth'? No? well thats the answer to why apparently!
And now for the latest installment. The old boy has a really green snotty nose. I don't know what the cause is, (perhaps smelly stable? - or illness/infection/cold?) but I don't think I've seen such horrible snot, and tbh it is worrying.
My mother called in the day I didn't go, and she saw the horse with a nose bleed, just a minor one but then wasn't sure if he had caught his nose on a prickle or something. I didnt see, so am non the wiser. Also MORE oats have arrived, the yard is littered with dropped oats as his teeth can't cope with the damn things. The excuse is, he can't eat pony nuts as he throws them out... so what about the 'veteran mix and the sugar beat'?

Anyway, today was the big question - again. What is the point? Answer was 'he was happy last summer' - sums it up doesn't it! Oh, and apprently he was turned while again I wasn't there.. so believable, no mud on horse legs, no change of rugs, no fencing where turnout commenced! and family member can't catch him - so who did?

I should be bald now, so much tearing my hair out, but I'm keeping hope that soon, sense will be seen. Bless the old boy.

We all need a hug here, well me and the old boy... family member needs something more forceful!

Milanesa

Visit site
Oh what a situation I feel sorry for you and the old horse as it seems nothing you say is going in, and sounds like he hasn't got the best care which at his age he deserves. Family member sounds fairly old fashioned in his thoughts, what a shame he won't get the vet out to help the poor horse. If he has the symptoms you are describing he sounds like he needs treatment ASAP and if he doesn't get it then his owner IMO is failing in his duty of care. Can u call vet for him?