Update on 3 shet Xs needing home before they go back to the abattoir

VictoriaEDT

www.equinedental.co.uk
I think Box of Frogs will be having the 15yo mare (fingers crossed!)

So thats one down and two to go........a 5 yo (mares daughter) and a 4 year old gelding

For those that havent read, I have a client who has tried to rehome them after picking them up from the abattoir when she took some sheep in (unintentional, she wasnt meant to be coming back with horses!) anyway she hasnt been able to rehome them and has said they will have to go back to abattoir before christmas...........so I am trying to get them rehomed. She has given me a month!

She wants £50 per pony to get back the money that she paid for them

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
PM-ed you V. Surprised at the £50 price tag though. I saw this as your friend's kindness to rescue the ponies, however it was done. Others' kindness will be to offer 5* homes. I'm not offering a home because I want a new pony. I'm offering a home to try to give something back to horses for all the pleasure they have given me over the years. No matter, just surprised x

Tinypony

Visit site
I'll disagree.
grin.gif
Free horses and ponies can be very attractive to the wrong people (none of them here of course eh?). We've had it on other threads, people advising others to never offer their horse free, but to ask for some money to at least get some demonstration of committment from the new home.
Victoria, have you thought of approaching one of the rescues, like EMW, to see if the ponies could be re-homed from their current owner, but on a charity loan agreement? That way their future would be secure.

_April_

Visit site
I think asking for £50 is quite cheeky - whoever takes them will be taking on costs (trimming, vet bills, feed etc) for the duration of the horse's life.

I really hope they get homes though, poor things
frown.gif

VictoriaEDT

www.equinedental.co.uk
Yes will take pics for you as well tomorr

Without being disrespectful to my clients, lets just say she is very "hard" but also very thoughtful. She had un unexpected cost when she bought them back from the abattoir, intended try and rehome them to recoup her costs and save them from being shot but it hasnt worked out like that.
She is a big big sheep farmer and isnt the "bunny hugging" type (but her horses are cared for well, lovely school, all Rambo rugs etc) and would take them back to the abattoir if she had to. She is there all the time and sees many horses go there unnecessarily so is slightly hardened to it.

She tired ILPH RSPCA Blue Cross and horseworld, all have no room except for dire rescue cases.

I woulnt personally charge £50 but she just wants to cover her costs.............at least she doesnt want to make anything on them!

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
I understand where your friend is coming from V but this is starting to sound less like a rescue and more like a commercial deal. Woeisme, this isn't a case of me wanting a "free" pony, and I'm very upset at your comment. All I'm trying to do is recognise a true rescue situation and offer a home to any horse or pony that fits the bill. I want to give something back to horses partly to thank them for the years of pleasure they have given me and partly to ameliorate the horrors that some human beings inflict on them.

Tinypony

Visit site
Well, please don't be upset, I think I made it clear that I wasn't refering to people here. However, if you look at threads where other people are thinking of giving a horse or pony away because they can't keep them, people always suggest that they don't give them away completely free. £50 is hardly a commercial venture, and the lady who has them now will have had some costs as a result of taking them in.