Update on canter issues - lesson report and a bit of Bailey matchy matchy

fine_and_dandy

Visit site
Thanks to all that gave me some tips on how to get over my canter mental block. I had a lesson last night, and we decided that we would do a lunge lesson because i would take the element of control away from me, and stop the voices in my head saying, "he's going to bob off with you."

True to form, Bailey was a superstar as per normal. We had side reins so he had a contact and I could forget for the time being about where his head was etc. We started off just walking and trotting and actually, my position seems to be pretty good :) I'm always very critical and overthink things which makes things worse - when I don't think I actually am better if that makes any sense?

We then progressed to canter, and I had a moment just before when I thought *I'm not sure, I'm not in control* and then I gave myself a mental b*tch slap and off we went :D it was a lovely canter, smooth transition and very comfortable. I had a neck strap for a bit of support. We did two canters on each rein, one of which was very big! We then left it at that as it is quite hard work for him. He had a stretch around the school and had a practice trying to stand square.

Sorry the lesson pictures are a bit blurry, they were taken on my phone by OH who can't seem to work my camera!

We also decided to try and make everyone else think that we are extremely elegant by getting our matchy matchy on! I was wearing a t-shirt in the same colour as Bailey's matchy but it was too nippy to take the jumper off!

So anyway, onwards and upwards. The plan is to keep on it in this way for a few more sessions, develop my canter seat and getting my leg a bit stronger so I can apply it properly in sitting trot when asking for canter. In the meantime, I will hack and school as normal, no pressure on cantering just walk and trot and at some point I will give myself a mental kick and just decide to do it on my own terms.

Thanks for reading :)

Only half decent one from the lesson and I'm rubbing my nose :mad: elegant much?
IMG00375-20120612-1940.jpg

Trying to stand square
IMG00387-20120612-1951.jpg

Remember to smile!!
IMG00389-20120612-1952.jpg

Smile!
IMG00395-20120612-1955.jpg

My good boy :)
photo.jpg

MissSBird

Visit site
Sounds like great progress! Glad you're beginning to feel better about it :)

Love the pink matchy matchy - looks gorgeous with his colouring.

WeeBrown

Visit site
All the other horses will be wearing sunglasses ;) Sounds like a good lesson. You'll soon be feeling more confident and trying little bits of canter on your own; it just suddenly comes together. I started with just a circle and did half of trot and half canter then built up to full circle of canter and now doing a few laps. My trouble was balance and my horse liked to balanced herself on my reins which didn't help either of us. As with everything it is lots of little bit. Keep up the updates, especially with pics, your horse is lush!

Saucisson

Visit site
Good to hear you're making progress and having fun.

Not impressed by your matchy though - what you need is this!

FB2.jpg

My Jubilee saddle pad not the horse! Horse is only interested in treats!

fine_and_dandy

Visit site
Good to hear you're making progress and having fun.

Not impressed by your matchy though - what you need is this!

FB2.jpg

My Jubilee saddle pad not the horse! Horse is only interested in treats!

OMG it would go with his Jubilee boots!!! Where did you get it? [Bailey is currently groaning at the thought of being dressed up like a flag!]

fine_and_dandy

Visit site
All the other horses will be wearing sunglasses ;) Sounds like a good lesson. You'll soon be feeling more confident and trying little bits of canter on your own; it just suddenly comes together. I started with just a circle and did half of trot and half canter then built up to full circle of canter and now doing a few laps. My trouble was balance and my horse liked to balanced herself on my reins which didn't help either of us. As with everything it is lots of little bit. Keep up the updates, especially with pics, your horse is lush!

You jest, when I was leading him out of the stables a couple spooked at him!!

This is it, once I feel more confident in myself I will just assert myself and get going and then wonder what the issue ever was. I just want to get to enjoying it all again without pressuring myself.

Princess Jess

Visit site
I LOVE that car!

I've got the twinair plus in midnight indigo blue on order! Couldn't find any pink ones because they don't do them new anymore and when we bought the car there weren't any used ones for sale :(

I LOVE pink :D

Haha thanks, I love pink too :cool: Yes they were limited edition, only 500 ever made but luckily I got one of the last few ever made!