Update on gait analysis/investigations

Bernster

Visit site
Thought I’d stop by here and give a quick update on the below thread, and say thx for all those who commented. Disappointingly, no clear answers from the day trip to the RVC, not helped by my boy being so needle phobic they couldn’t do any more nerve blocks after the first (which didn’t show anything).

We’ve been on another bute trial, this time for longer. I’m not supposed to know when it finished so it doesn’t skew my opinion, but I’m pretty sure I know when he was on it and that he’s probably off it now. There was some improvement but it was a bit mixed, some days better than others inc good days when he was not in it.

Vet visited yesterday and we all feel the most likely culprit is the large melanoma on the right side of his head. He’s booked into RVC again on Wed for neck xrays (my request, to rule it out if nothing else) and a CT scan on the head lumps. If it is this, sadly it’s a case of keeping him comfortable so he can carry on working (vet strong recommendation as he says he will likely go downhill fast if I don’t) and sympathetic riding, and doing all the stuff he loves to do, until he gets too uncomfortable. And in the meantime I research melanoma treatments but am not holding out much hope (he gets the vaccine but doesn’t seem to have helped).

Will pop back again after Wed.

https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/horse-is-booked-in-for-gait-analysis-tomorrow.794579/

Reactions: TPO

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Oh no Bernster, I'd missed your previous thread, I'm so so sorry, I really hope they can find something else that's causing it and it's fixable. You and Finnegan have come so far together.

Bernster

Visit site
Thx JB. I was very blue yesterday but feel a bit more resigned to it now. He’s had the melanoma 5 years but I thought we’d have longer before it started to impact him. He’s only 10 and such a good horse, it’s a real shame. The treatment options seem really limited due to its location.

Bernster

Visit site
Well, the verdict is in. The x ray told the vet enough. It is his melanoma. It’s not the best news ofc but it was exactly what we thought and there is no immediate change in terms of his management or riding etc. It’s more a case of avoiding tight circles, allowing him to poke his nose a bit when turning left in the school, and just keeping him happy and in work (so he’s generally healthy and supple etc).

We can carry on doing the stuff he loves, inc hunting for now if he seems happy to do so, and then he’ll tell me when he’s no longer happy and we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Gutted ofc as he’s so young (10) and it’s degenerative, but at least I know. I’ll always do what’s best for him, whatever he needs, for as long as he needs, even if he’s not likely to make “old bones”. ?

Its been a crappy week generally as there‘s a horrible atmosphere at my yard, which is really upsetting, but I hope to be able to sort that out soon too, which will be a huge relief.

Thx to everyone for your support x

SEL

Visit site
Oh I am sorry - even when your gut feeling is proved right its still horrible. Let's hope it doesn't progress and he ticks along for many more years.

Also hoping the yard atmosphere improves because I've been there and run away from that :rolleyes:

Bernster

Visit site
Oh I am sorry - even when your gut feeling is proved right its still horrible. Let's hope it doesn't progress and he ticks along for many more years.

Also hoping the yard atmosphere improves because I've been there and run away from that :rolleyes:

It’s utterly bonkers and quite surreal. But yes I am running away as fast as I can arrange these things! I’m a bit disappointed with myself because, instead of standing up for myself, or not letting it get to me, I’m avoiding going down there in the day time and not being able to sleep I’m so anxious about the whole thing. I’m a grown woman fgs ?