Update on horse abandoned in my field

ColandMe

Visit site
Some of you will remember a short while ago my thread on the horse left in my field. Well, RSPCA eventually got back to me and came out to see her. Straight away decided to pts. I gave them as much info as I could and they found owner. Owner denied the horse was hers, said she belonged to me, she was just a loaner and had given her back to me. Despite me able to provide proof horse was hers, witnesses, vet, farrier etc inspector wasn't interested, said she didn't want to spend any more time on the case. So, I had a major operation last wednesday, and on Thursday whilst I'm in bed in agony inspector rings to say owner has signed papers to declare she isn't the owner ( confused??!!!) and give permission to pts, and it was booked for 1pm Friday! Well, although there are worse fates than pts I honestly didn't think it was necessary if there was an alternative. So, with a little (lot ) of help from some amazing friends, a place in a sanctuary was found for her, not too far from here. She went on Monday, I couldn't go up and say goodbye which I'm sad about but the sanctuary owner called me monday eve to say she was settled already, calm, quiet and eating well, and that I was welcome to visit anytime.

Bug2007

Visit site
How can someone who is not the owner sign papers to say she isn't the owner yet still give permission to PTS. :rolleyes::confused:

The RSPCA does my head in they aren't interested until things are too late or the cameras are rolling.

ColandMe

Visit site
How can someone who is not the owner sign papers to say she isn't the owner yet still give permission to PTS. :rolleyes::confused:

The RSPCA does my head in they aren't interested until things are too late or the cameras are rolling.

Oh it's totally done my head in I tell you. I was lying in bed, trying to take things in and respond but I felt like I was being backed into a corner, I was told she was booked for 1pm friday and herself and a colleague would take her from the field and get in done in the carpark. I tried to explain that she wouldn't leave the field without my horse and would be distressed if they tried to force her but what would I know. Still, it was a good outcome in the end.

millhouse

Visit site
Well done to you, and I hope your recovery is swift. At least the horsey will now be looked after.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Well done for helping the mare. I'm appalled at the RSPCA inspector, what a shocking attitude, particularly calling you with such nasty news when you were post op.
Thank goodness this horse found its way to you where it recieved help and compassion when those (its real owner and the 'animal welfare officer') who did have a responsibility for her, turned their backs on her plight.

BTW, you have some good friends there.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Firstly, hope you're feeling better.
Secondly, I'm glad horse has found somewhere safe.
Thirdly, I hope you will make a song and dance about this to the highest there is in the RSPCA as that is an appalling attitude to have from their inspector; definitely needs a rollicking of the highest order, preferably the sack.
Fourthly, perhaps it was the owner that actually needed the bullet in the first place.

ColandMe

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies and get well wishes, felt better today so hoovered, now my tummy hurts, oh well.
I agree, owner needs a bullet as far as I'm concerned, she turned her back because she knew I wouldn't just ignore the horse, I think she assumed I'd just take care of her. Her behaviour is despicable, according to the inspector when she informed owner horse would be pts she didn't bat an eyelid.
I am very disappointed with the attitude of inspector, I appreciate it's not an easy job but she just wasn't interested, didn't want to even give the owner a telling off, which she initially told me she would be doing.

RuthnMeg

Visit site
I am shocked by the attitude of the rspca. I can't understand how anyone can say they don't own an animal, and yet give permission to have it pts. Simply doesn't make sense, and I am not surprised that you too can't get your head around it.
Glad the mare has found a home, well done to your friends and the sanctuary for accepting her. We all know that these places are always full now.
Hope you feel even better soon.