Update on horse search

Halfpass

Visit site
Well started my horse search this week. Went to see the one advertised on horsequest and he was adorable. Was very tempted to leave a deposit there and then but i sudenly became sensible!!!
smirk.gif
He is 2 years 8 months , light bay out of an oldenbourg mare by a warmblood stallion (both Grade A SJ) he was stabled in august where he was handled bridled saddled etc then turned back out. When I went to see him they free schooled him and popped him over a pole, then put a bridle and roller on him and he did 4/ 5 turns on the lunge in trot. Fab atitude was really impressed. did'nt have the best movement to do very high level dresage (neither do I) but had a great pop.
Then went to Sports horses international were I had a look at 3 2-3 year olds and one really stood out. French warmblood 2 years 6 months dark bay mare didn't have passprt available at that time (150 odd horses on sight) so unsure of exact breeding she was bought in from field has not been in all summer, they then free schooled her. Fab movement with very expressive paces and a nice pop. she was quite excited but eventually calmed down but she was adorable. She may also be in foal to a coloured stallion. She was AI'd but has not been scanned so I could get a BOGOF there. Iam now very confused. Never wanted a mare (coz i've never had one no other reason) and i think I could get this one for the same price as the gelding she moved a lot nicer then him although they tried to free school him in a very large school and he did keep stopping so that did hinder his movement. However He is hombred and much better handled tha the mare and I also think that he will end up a bigger build than the mare although she wasn't going to be a light weight. Going back to see the gelding again next week with a second pair of eyes but need to draw up a list of the pro's and con's of both befor making a decision. Here are some i've come up with

already have a gelding - can go out together
could breed from the mare
mare had better movement
mare may already be in foal
grin.gif

know history of gelding
gelding better handled
get warranty with mare

can anyone think of anymore.

kerrylou123

Visit site
Just being me, i think i would probably be inclined to go with the mare, but thats just me. I always have this theory, that if all goes wrong, you could always use/sell the mare as a broodmare, but what good is a gelding??

Emily99

Visit site
Steve's horses are of excellant quality.. can't fault them apart from their greeness. But they soon overcome that. Haven't met one of his that didn't have a fab temperament!!

Maybe give him a ring regarding the passpart and see if he can hunt it out. He'll soon find it and tell you her breeding. He may also know her history, he knew my boy's, but that could have been because of the 'name' behind his breeding but worth a try.

Without it being Steve i'd still go for the mare.. for the breeding potential and the fact that she sounds like she's got alot of potential. Handling etc can be improved and you could use it to to get to know each other as she grows up.