Update on horse with mystery lameness!

little_pink_piggies

Visit site
Well got to willesley and explained the situation to Ollie, who watched him trot up etc. and said it def wasnt Kissing Spines, but maybe EPSM as he had tied up... but then decided it probably wasnt as he's practically pure TB and it's mainly seen in the more warmblood types?

So started pulling on his tail and making him walk and established that it was neurological (when he first said this there was a huge shock as - I dont know why- but i associate that with not good prognosis) and then went to fetch another vet - Richard Hepburn, who is the more neurological expert as opposed to Ollie who is more the ortho side of things...

And after watching him walk a few circles, trot and walk down a hill he was very quick to establish that there was either damage to the spinal cord up behind his brain, or further down in his neck as he had a very "sloping" gait infront and a "twisty" gait behind aswell, also he didn't seem to mind whether he stood square or not (and appareantly most horses pretty much stand square after 30 secs).. he didnt seem to have any trouble with his facial reflexes so it was definitely in his neck.

There were two possibilities, one that it was a degenerative disease, and the nerves in the spinal cord would continue to break down (about 5% chance that it was this). Or more likely that there was some arthritic problem, compressing the spinal cord, meaning that the sensory neurons were affected (not so much the motor ones) so that he had compensated spacial awareness...

Anyway xray confirmed that it was the latter... so big steroid injections inbetween the C5/C6 and C6/C7's form both sides... (4 injections in total!)

The vet really was in a class of his own compared to other vets of his age... V positive prognosis, he has to have 4 days off just to make sure that the injection sites aren't sore, then back into work- hacking out, hill work, flatwork and pole work to help improve spacial awareness. Re-assessed in a month, then back into normal work with any luck.

If you use the neourology scale (0 being fine and 5 being crippled on the floor not able to get up) he was 1 infront and 2 behind. With the treatment he's on (also on vitamin E and a really strong joint supplement) they would expect it to improve 2-3 on the scale, so they are expecting a normal horse within 2 moths
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

child feeling extremely lucky that her horse is going to be ok, and also that her horse is luckier... could have been making our way back to south wales tonight in a much more depressing mood!

seabiscuit

Visit site
WOW ! Gosh that sounds an amazing find- what normal vet wouldve picked this up! They really are in a class of their own at Willesley! Brilliant that it is not KS or something else that was complicated or nasty.
So glad that they definately diagnosed the problem and that it was so easily fixed.
What is the prognosis for the future/long term? Let us know how he is in two months!

little_pink_piggies

Visit site
no not wobblers, i think that implies more that theres a spinal cord problem for no reason? im not 100% sure other than its def not described as wobblers...

long term prognosis is great, they want to re Xray in a years time to just check everything is ok, then in another 3 years time, and maybe re-inject... but the nerves that the myalin sheath has been damaged on will return to normal, and the others that have actual damage to the nerve pathway will "rewire" so to speak...

they just want to do those injections every 3/4 years to make sure that the joints dont start to put pressure on again, but the arthritus isnt degenerative so thats good news
smile.gif

They really are on they're own there, unless its something simple like an infected cvut out in the field, or flu vacs, or a cold etc. We would rather make the 2 hour journey than mess around with the vets down here!!!

seabiscuit

Visit site
Fantastic news. Bet you can't wait to see how well he does next season now!
I agree, Willesley is fantastic but after reading your post I didnt appreciate just how fab they are. Two hour trip there for me as well but I think I will now go there for everything! They are always so positive about things, straight and to the point.

JenHunt

Visit site
i would agree, not wobblers, i think the technical term would osteo-arthritic changes in the cervial spine... the same as can cause some people to get shooting pains in their leg, and sore backs, or even generalised weakness in their legs. (can't remember what its called though....)

wobblers is caused by either a malformation of the vertebrae, putting pressure on the spinal column, and usually apparent when a horse first comes into work as a 3/4yo. or it can be caused by a mis-wiring of the neuro system and is apparent almost from birth.

wistavon

Visit site
i am so pleased that you have got an answer, its the not knowing whats going wrong that is the worst. sending you both good wishes for the future.

debradley

Visit site
So pleased for you. I had Honey treated at Willesley and they are just fantastic there.

Really pleased that everything has worked out for you. Good luck with your rehab and getting back into work.