Update on lame horse.

Skhosu

Visit site
Well, he's a lot better today. I haven't bandaged or anything, just a bit of cold hosing and a cold pack applied for a couple of hours. He's still significantly lame in a circle on concrete, but 90% sound in walk and the lameness in trot is slightly better. I'm thinking it may have been a bruised sole or something?
For now I'm keeping him in and will maybe cold hose it again later, although there is still no swelling at all so not sure if it will do any good. Any other suggestions?

Skhosu

Visit site
How would he check for that? Never actually had one it's just the way it resembled my pony who had a thorn in his foot in terms of lameness, but is now ten times better, made me suspect something like that. Or am I completely off the mark?

Fiona

Visit site
Sorry to hear your boy is sore, had been going to suggest meeting up on Sat at Glenarm (was in the sec's caravan all day last Sat so didn't get to see anyone).

If there is no swelling around tendons, fetlock etc and you are def sure which leg it is, I would second the suggestion of getting your farrier to look at him. He will squeeze all around the sole of his foot with his pincers, and if there is a bruise (or abcess) horsie will let you know all about it. If not then you can get the vet.
My young mare had an abcess caught so early by the farrier that she was never actually lame (her foot was warm for over a week even though other 3 were cold) and as soon as farrier squeezed the pus popped out. Could be a bruise due to the hard ground, or standing on a stone. Perhaps he slipped somewhere round the course and has tweaked a muscle, that would explain the improvement today.

Could also be something nasty though (like my mare who has been off 3 months with bruised pedal bone) but don't think that yet - think positive eehh.

Fiona

Skhosu

Visit site
I'll still be at Glenarm with my little sister so perhaps still a chance of meeting up? Will you be competing? PM me!
Yeah, he's not really any better today though, which is disappointing after yesterdays major improvement, don't know if this is good or bad! Am on the phone to the vets trying to get results for his swab now so think I will talk to them.