Update on Lari - riding

Birker2020

Visit site
So after 6 months I got on! My friend sat on first and then the saddler felt the saddle and felt it needed slight adjustment, he's only slightly asymetrical now which is good. So then I got on and he was great, did a bit of walk and trot before he decided to spook at a bit of grass. To be fair it was windy, if I'd had my schooling whip he'd have got a smart tap with the whip for that, I can't afford any silly falls.

But I was delighted to be back on board so I have a lesson on Thursday now to look forward to. Still don't know if he's going to be a bit too much for me so time will tell. The saddle is amazing, it feels like you are sat on an armchair, so comfortable.

And please no criticism of my riding position - not sat on him for 6 months, new saddle as well. Still sorting out the weight loss, even more motivated now I can ride. Lost 1.5 stone so far, so work in progress.

1649229551014.png1649229559392.png1649230034911.png

Last edited:

eggs

Visit site
Congratulations on your impressive weight loss and for all the time and effort you have been putting into getting Lari right. It must have been fabulous to be back on board and well sat at the spook.

I have to agree with ycbm though, don't hit a sharp warmblood for a spook as it could so easily end up with you getting decked, he isn't being naughty and it was a genuine reaction to something that startled him.

Birker2020

Visit site
Great news!
The spooking picture made me chuckle as Polly spooked at a tiny bird this morning but thankfully she just sort of dropped and momentarily considered running, before changing her mind and stopping. If she’d have legged it I’d have been a goner!
Ha! Blooming horses, so silly aren't they?

That's what it felt like with Lari, thank God he didn't follow it up with anything else.

I just need to remember to plug in the flipping air jacket. I only rode for about ten minutes as it was sooo windy, blowing a gale. But I'd been riding for about nine minutes and then realised I hadn't plugged the blasted thing in. Then when I did, literally 20 seconds later he spooked!

I think I need to ride him off the track a bit more whilst I get some confidence. Less distractions.

Birker2020

Visit site
Great news B but please don't hit a sharp warmblood for spooking or you may go into orbit. I find it far better to pretend it never happened.

I just want him to know I won't tolerate that behaviour. Especially as he should be pain free now after all the investigation and medication that he's had. But I suppose it was a reaction to something that moved, so maybe you are right.

I'm probably over reacting because I remember what he was like when he was in pain and how he nearly threw me off.

Asha

Visit site
If it helps, i took my mare( usually very calm) back into the arena last night for the first time in weeks . It was windy and cold, shes clearly feeling well after the rehab etc and it felt like i was riding a ball. We had a few spooks & squeals too. So i sang to her... a rather poor rendition of ' Dont worry about a thing ', which helped. she was probably too busy thinking shut up woman, thats blinking awful , to throw any real shapes.:p

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I just want him to know I won't tolerate that behaviour. Especially as he should be pain free now after all the investigation and medication that he's had. But I suppose it was a reaction to something that moved, so maybe you are right.

It's not a behaviour really though it wouldn't seem, it made him jump much like it does when someone jumps out at you from behind a door. An additional tap on the bum will fuel his nervous system even more, may over load it and provoke more reaction. I find it best to sit super heavy through my @rse so they know that you're not worried by it, my spooky warmblood seemed to get reassurance from it.

Super work though getting back on board, you have done so well to carry on with it all and wow on the weightloss!! Could you send some of your weightloss vibes my way please?! (she says with a biscuit in hand) :p

Bernster

Visit site
Fantastic news! V pleased for you.

Fwiw on the spooking, with Finn he’ll get an ‘oi’, a leg aid and told to focus and listen to me. I tried that with Bertie (after a genuine spook) and it was not the right method ? !! So for him I think I need to reassure him and get his brain back onto me. You’ll get to know what works best for lari ?

Birker2020

Visit site
Fantastic news! V pleased for you.

Fwiw on the spooking, with Finn he’ll get an ‘oi’, a leg aid and told to focus and listen to me. I tried that with Bertie (after a genuine spook) and it was not the right method ? !! So for him I think I need to reassure him and get his brain back onto me. You’ll get to know what works best for lari ?
I think its a process when you have any new horse.

I think he's the type of horse that's been around the block, got a few tricks up his sleeve, not necessarily to hurt you but he can be a sharp horse at times. I think I need to be more rider and less 'friend' as he comes from a background where I would imagine a bit of regular determined riding probably worked best for him. I need to act like I don't give a stuff what he throws at me as I can cope with it, which is probably the exact opposite to how I feel :D

Sandstone1

Visit site

I'm probably over reacting because I remember what he was like when he was in pain and how he nearly threw me off.
Hitting a scared horse wont achieve anything tho, and will probably get you thrown off. Horses are flight animals and they will spook if scared.

Birker2020

Visit site
Yay for being back on board. Boo for windy weather.

Well sat, it was an athletic looking spook!

After a spook, I just give them a job to do. A transition, a bend, a turn, whatever, but to get their attention on me.
Yes good thinking, I just walked a few strides, debated a quick weep but decided against it and trotted past the area where he spooked although well off the outside track!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Just wanted to stop by and say your horse is beautiful ?
Also congrats on the weightloss. Any chance you want to start a thread sharing your diet hints that helped you. If you've already got a thread going apologies, but can you post a link as desperate to drop 2st minimum but seriously struggling
I am sure Birker will have some, but I started a noom thread a bot back, and several of us lost substantial weight. If you search noom, you should be able to find it.