Update on Madam and question re cushings

Montyforever

Visit site
Well Mysti has been on prascend for a couple of months now and we seem to be doing ok now. Blood test showed levels are perfect and she's eating properly again and slowly turning back into a hyperactive toddler .. :p
She's back on hay and eating 4-5 slices a night which is alot for her and is piling the pounds back on :D she's been fairly heavily rugged as she seems to be feeling the cold more than usual and couldn't have her dropping anymore weight.
She bounced out of her stable this morning, pranced all the way to the field then galloped around like a lunatic so i think the time has come for her to come back into work. She will be having a clip before though as her coat is very thick understandably!

Everything seems to be on the up but she's picking at her feed again. I've put the amount of fast fibre down as i figured she's eating lots of hay now so getting plenty of fibre but kept the linseed the same amount as its done wonders for her overall condition. Although she's eating it she's leaving a few mouthfuls of breakfast most mornings. Im guessing its just a case of her being picky or not hungry but don't want her to go downhill again now she's doing so well. So any ideas of things i can add to make it more appealing?
She will take a handful of nuts/carrot with her tablet in the morning a few hours after her breakfast so its not as if she wont eat. She's just being a fussy madam!

But overall, she's doing really well :)

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I have found that feeding dried spearmint usually does the trick. My cushings mare went through a very picky stage with her feed and I used spearmint to get her over it. After a couple of months she was eating well without it.

lelly

Visit site
My Cushing's pony was terrible with her feed, I was having to change all the time just to get her to eat it. Vet said the prascend can cause this. She still changes from day to day as to how much she eats. The good thing is she loves her hay so I'm not too worried about it.